[BHS Etree] BSEP: BSEP Community Event, Jun. 5 (Sun)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jun 1 11:54:01 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Christine Staples,
*christineannestaples at gmail.com
<christineannestaples at gmail.com>*

The Berkeley PTA Council, the umbrella organization for all BUSD PTAs and
PTSAs, has voted to endorse the parcel tax measure known as BSEP, which
will be on the November ballot. Please join us this Sunday from 3-4pm at
the Frances Albrier Community Center, 2800 Park Street (at San Pablo Park)
for a Community Event <http://www.bsep2016.org/campaign_kickoff> to launch
the next BSEP measure!

BSEP renews critical funding for our public schools, providing over
$700,000 per year in school discretionary funds for Berkeley High, and also
provides over $25 million in district-wide funding that reduces class sizes
by paying for 1/3 of all teachers in the District, as well as paying for
all of our school libraries and staff, our music program in grades
4-8, (and the new measure will now include supplies for BHS music
programs!) instructional technology, and much, much more. The funds from
BSEP constitute 20% of the entire budget for the district!

The School Board voted to put the measure on the ballot at its May 18th
meeting, and noted that the proposed measure renewal involved the
participation of many parents, students, teachers, staff and community
members in multiple community meetings to discuss the priorities for our
schools. An overview of the proposed measure can be found on the District
website at:

http://www.berkeleyschools.net/2016/05/17/bsep-measure-of-2016-overview-faq/

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at *bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net>*.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)
To *subscribe *to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*