[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, May 20

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri May 20 10:32:10 PDT 2016

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Claudia
Hernandez Claudiahernandez at berkeley.net
<mailto:Claudiahernandez at berkeley.net> and Victoria Session
victoriasession at berkeley.net <mailto:victoriasession at berkeley.net>. For
those of you who do not hear the announcements where you are during
second period, or if you would like to read them each day, you can find
them in the Daily Bulletin section of Powerschool.

*Berkeley High School Bulletin for Friday, May 20, 2016*

Good Morning Berkeley High School, this is Mr. Pasarow with your daily
announcements.

At the top of today’s announcements are positive shoutouts. Our first
love bomb comes from David Luu in OCI and is directed toward Safety
Officer Steven Saunders: “Thank you Steve Saunders for your uncanny
ability to recover lost and stolen items. You are a valuable asset to
our school, and I know that everyone appreciates your hard work and your
winning attitude!”

The next shoutout comes from Peter Rodriguez and is directed at our
award-winning newspaper, the Jacket, “Congratulations to BHS Jacket for
winning first place from the American Scholastic Press Association and
for Satchi Moran for winning best Newspaper Illustrator in the country.
Fantastic work!”

Our next announcement comes from Marcela Taylor and goes out to our
Newcomer students. “I want to thank each of you for your commitment and
leadership in helping organize our first annual Newcomer retreat. We are
so proud of your accomplishments and grateful that you continue to share
your talents with our community!”

Our final shoutout comes from me and goes to Divesh Kumar, AC student.
Divesh, I saw you return Ms. Phillips' ID card to her at lunch on
Thursday after you found it on the ground. Good lookin’ out Divesh – we
appreciate you!”

____________

Library Special Schedule
The Library will be closed during 6th period today in order to
accommodate class visits. We apologize for any inconvenience.
____________

Juniors: Smarter Balanced Assessments
Today Berkeley High School 11th graders continue taking the annual state
test known as the Smarter Balanced Assessments, or SBA. The SBA consists
of computer-based tests that measure student knowledge of California's
new Common Core English and Mathematics standards. Juniors will test one
period per day over an eight-day period.
________________________________

*Important Information for Students with Spring PE Waivers*
Please turn in your completed Spring PE Waiver (yellow copy) to the
Attendance Office beginning no later than Friday, May 27, 2016 at 4:00
pm. The waiver must be signed by the same coach who wrote your letter at
the beginning of the spring semester. No exceptions to this deadline
will be granted.

________________________________

*California Scholarship Federation*
Sophomore and Juniors: Are you recognized for your hard work? We invite
you to join the California Scholarship Federation. CSF seeks to foster
the recognition, motivation and education of academically talented
students and to promote service to the BHS community. Pick up an
application today at lunch time in the College and Career Center, room
D-221. Applications are available through Wednesday, May 25, and must be
returned to the CCC by Friday, June 3.

________________________________

*Internship Opportunity*
Are you a teenager with opinions? The Berkeley Public Library is looking
for 15 people entering grades 8-11 in Fall 2016 to help them design the
new Central Library Teen room. If selected, you will commit to attending
4 meetings during this phase of the project. The first meeting will be
during the last week of June. You’ll work with Library staff and
architects from local firm Noll&Tam.

What’s in it for you? Civic engagement. Leadership development.
Community service hours. You will also receive letters of recommendation
and appreciation as well as a stipend at the end of the project.
Interested? Call Kay Finney at 510 981-6135 <tel:510%20981-6135> or
email kfinney at ci.berkeley.ca.us <mailto:kfinney at ci.berkeley.ca.us>.

________________________________

*Y-Scholars Is Now Accepting Applications*
Y-Scholars is an after-school program that works with first-generation
and low-income students in grades 9-12, preparing them to pursue higher
education through college exploration and academic support. Services
include: weekly workshops, academic coaching, after-school tutoring, SAT
preparatory classes, college tours, social events, and much more. For
more information, visit yscholars.org <http://yscholars.org>.

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(/T//he request must be sent from the email address that
is subscribed to the list/.)

To _subscribe _to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*