[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: Gamelan Concert/Field Trip on May 5 (Thurs)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 27 15:25:19 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this message, contact Alan Miller
alanmiller at berkeley.net <mailto:alanmiller at berkeley.net>

I am planning a walking field trip to see Gamelan Music at UC Berkeley
with my sophomores on *Wed, May 4 *and am looking for 5 volunteers to
join us.

We will leave BHS around 10:45, eat lunch on the green there, listen to
the concert, then walk back quickly in order to be on time (mostly) for
Period 5. I would need people available from 10:30 until 1:45 at the
latest. Volunteers will need good walking shoes, lunch and the ability
to urge teens to move quickly.

Please let me know if you can join us by emailing me at
alanmiller at berkeley.net

Thank you,

Alan Miller

The concert is free and will features a rising star in the field. See
info below:

/Rising Star of Balinese Performing Arts Returns for a Second Residency
with GSJ! /

//

//

/IDA BAGUS MADE WIDNYANA is a virtuosic young composer, performer, and
teacher, and is considered one of Bali’s ‘rising stars’. A graduate of
Composition from ISI Denpasar, he’s won awards such as Composer and
Performer Award from GEOKS, Best Performer in Graduation from ISI and
Composer Award from the Festival of Arts, Indonesia. Widnyana is in high
demand throughout Bali and abroad for his exceptional skills in
composition, leadership, and musical performance. Many of his
compositions have been featured in the gong kebyar competition at the
Bali Arts Festival (PKB) in Denpasar. Widnyana has taught
internationally at University of California at Berkeley, University of
Richmond, Juilliard, Holy Cross University, and performed abroad for
Body Music Festival, World Sacred Music Festival, Festival TongTong in
Holland, Expo Aichi Japan, Martha’s Vineyard, and Festival Halla in
South Korea./

//

//

//

/As an original founding member of Gamelan Çudamani for over a decade,
he continues to work with them regularly while also teaching gamelan
groups all over Bali. He has held the position of Director for Sanggar
Candra Wirabhuana in the village of Ubud and currently directs the youth
gamelan group in his native village of Tulikup. /

//

//

//

/A young and passionate culture-bearer, Widnyana’s in-depth knowledge
and deep respect for Bali’s unique gamelan traditions is evident in the
breadth of repertoire he is able to teach and perform, and in the
historical and anthropological contexts he incorporates into his
teachings and composition. /

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(/The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list/.)

To _subscribe _to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*