[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: World AIDS Day, Dec. 4 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Nov 19 18:27:22 PST 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Lisa Sibony lisasibony at berkeley.net<mailto:lisasibony at berkeley.net>

This year's World AIDS Day Assembly is Friday, December 4. We are looking for 8 volunteers to help out -- starting at 9:00 a.m. and finishing at 11:40 a.m. -- to welcome students into the theater, briefly pick up coats, etc. left after the performances, and to model good audience behavior (no cell phones, lots of applause, etc). There will also be plenty of teachers and staff at the event.

Mr. Alan Miller is in charge of this assembly which will focus on HIV access to resources and education. In the past, there have been speakers who have HIV+ parents, scenes from Vagina Monologues about risk of STI's and HIV, a witness (speakers--panels of young people who are HIV+; often we have featured a student diagnosed at the BHS Health Center), and a performance component (Rhodessa Jones from the Medea Project, local poets, etc.)

There will be a Student Performance as well. In past years we have focused on young people, art, and women. We usually display panels of the AIDS Quilt. Volunteers and students have found this experience both moving and practical.

Please let me know you are available to usher at this special event.

Thanks,

Lisa Sibony
Outreach and Volunteers

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/