[BHS Etree] STUDENT ACTIVITIES: Donation and Volunteer Info for Holiday Meal, Dec. 12 (Sat)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Nov 18 12:40:36 PST 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact John Villavicencio johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net<mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>

Dear Parents and BHS Community Members,

The annual Holiday Meal will take place on Saturday, December 12. This special event features over 300 BHS students serving a warm meal, offering clothing, books, shoes, toys, blankets while also providing entertainment for some 300-500 homeless or low-income people and families in the Berkeley community. Our goal this year is to collect $4,000 worth of funds in order to support the event. These funds go to ingredients, beverages, BUSD kitchen staff workers, decorations, and other associated costs. Last year, we were able to use excess funds to support a spring toiletry drive for the local shelters.

DONATION INFORMATION
We are seeking fresh food or monetary donations to help us put on this special event. Beginning yesterday (Nov. 17), we have placed bins around campus for collections of canned goods or warm coats and socks.

What we are most in need of is pre-cooked hams or turkeys, potato or yam-based dishes, green salads or vegetable dishes, and canned/packaged foods such as tuna, soups or pastas.

Monetary donations are also a huge help will help us buy basics such as butter, sugar, flour, foil and other food to round out our meal. They will also help us cover decorations and entertainment to make this not only a belly filling but heartwarming experience for those that attend. Fresh food donations can be delivered between 4:30 pm - 7 pm on Friday, December 11 or 8 am - 12 pm on Saturday, December 12 to the main doors of the school at Milvia and Allston. Please indicate what time you would like deliver your donation.

Monetary donations are accepted as cash in the Leadership Office (make sure it gets to Mr. Villavicencio) or as checks written to "BHS Student Activities" with "Holiday Meal" in the memo line. These donations are tax deductible and a letter of receipt with the school tax ID number will be given upon request. Checks can be mailed to:

Berkeley High School
ATTN: John Villavicencio
1980 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94704

VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
One of the great aspects of the Holiday Meal is that so many students get involved through donating food or volunteering at the event. Parent, staff or student volunteers must be able to commit to the entirety of one or more of the following shifts: on either Friday evening or for one of the two shifts on Saturday. Currently, we are looking for parents that would interested in being line cooks. We typically have a head chef who will help us plan the menu for the event. As a line chef, you will help students prepare the desserts, the soup, the veggie dishes, salad or another part of the meal service. We probably could use 4 cooks for Friday evening and 4 cooks for Saturday morning.

More volunteer information will be posted as we get closer to the date of the event.

Do feel free to contact the Director of Student Activities, John Villavicencio, johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net<mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>, at 510.644.8990<tel:510.644.8990>.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/