[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Racist & Hateful Message Discovered on a Library Computer at BHS Today at 12:30 PM

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Nov 4 22:48:25 PST 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Principal Pasarow, sampasarow at berkeley.net

Good Evening Berkeley High Community,

Today in the library, at approximately 12:30 PM, a hateful and racist message was discovered on one of the library computers, containing threatening language toward African Americans. The administration is looking into who posted this message and I urge students, staff, parents and guardians to please contact the school at 510-644-6121 if you have any information about this matter. Alternatively, please reply to this email as soon as you can if you know anything about this incident.

This is a hate crime and messages such as this one will not stand in our community. I assure you that we are giving this investigation the utmost attention, as well as involving the Berkeley Police Department.

We are working hard to create a positive and inclusive school culture and we recognize the deep pain and rage that hate crimes such as this one bring to our students of color, as well as the damaging effects on our entire community. Even as we continue our investigation we recognize the need to address the harm that this has caused, and to that end we will be spending time planning as a staff about how to support and care for our students.

Thank you for your attention and please notify an administrator, call the school at 644-6121 or reply to my email if you have any information you can provide.

In solidarity,

Sam Pasarow

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/