[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Unity Week Message to Parents & Students

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Oct 25 12:05:27 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow,
sampasarow at berkeley.net

Hello Parents, Guardians & Students,

Unity Week begins Monday, October 26th with a series of dress-up days
and school spirit activities
<http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?p=259>. I want to shout out the
hard work of Leadership Teacher Coordinator Mr. John Villavicencio and
our Student Leaders, who have worked hard to ensure students are able to
show school spirit in safe and positive ways.

During Unity Week, there will be lunch activities for students and
staff. These activities will vary each day and include table tennis,
dodge-ball, basketball, trivia, chess matches, iron chef, karaoke and a
dance-off, among others. Students can sign up in the leadership office
with Mr. V.

I want to clearly communicate my expectations for student behavior
during Unity Week. We are working hard to contain any non-sanctioned and
unsafe activities that students may be planning for Friday, October
30th, the same day designated as Uni-Team Day.

I hope that parent and guardians discourage students from participating
in unsafe behaviors such as alcohol and drug use at school. I also hope
that we all discourage students from engaging in the unsafe behavior we
characterize as “class warfare.” When large groups of students yell
profane epithets about other graduating classes, it does not demonstrate
positive school spirit; it creates the conditions for fights and
violence and harms the school community.

*Behaviors we /don't/ want to see next week: *

--Standing in halls, stairwells, and open spaces during passing period
and shouting your class year at each other

--pushing or shoving in a crowd that leads to hurting someone else or
yourself

--getting in the way of others going to class

--drinking or drug-use before you come to school, or at lunch, or on
campus, or in bathrooms

*Behaviors we /do/ want to see next week: *

--being on time to class.

--participating in dress up days

--participating in lunch-time activities

--engaging in learning in class

--kindness

While I generally do not implement zero-tolerance policies, _students
who use--or are in possession of--drugs or alcohol on October 30th will
receive 5-day suspensions._ Unsafe, violent behavior will also result in
student suspensions. I have heard from at least one teacher that letters
of recommendation will be withheld if the teacher learns that any of
their students receive suspensions for the above behaviors.

Parents and guardians, please reinforce this policy with students, and
encourage students to demonstrate their good judgment on October 30th,
in advance of the two whole-school spirit events we are planning for the
upcoming winter and spring.

At the end of the school day on Friday, we will be clearing the campus
immediately. All after-school activities are cancelled on Friday, as
well, with the exception of the evening football games and any Period 7
classes. Students will not be required to dress for Period 6 PE and,
because student lockers will be off limits after school, students are
required to access their lockers in advance of period 6.

/*Parent/Guardian volunteers are being recruited for help on Friday
October 30th. We are still looking for a total of 100 parent/guardian
ushers -- and would appreciate anyone who can help the flow of thousands
of excited students.*/

//

//

/*There are two shifts, mid-day 11:00 to 1:30, or in the afternoon
1:30-4:00.  If you can help with either of these shifts, please click on
this link */

//

www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0a4dadaa2fa6fb6-oct30volunteers
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0a4dadaa2fa6fb6-oct30volunteers>./*Thank
you!*/

Parents will not be disciplinarians, but will be ushers, as well as
extra eyes and ears and those here at the early shift will lend a hand
with the lunchtime activities. This will be a fun day and it is nice to
have a reason to be on campus. If your child is hesitant about having
their parent on campus, please assure them you can be assigned a spot
far away.

Students, I want to end this communication on a positive note. I am very
impressed by the maturity, intelligence and agency of you all. I hear
you, students, loud and clear about wanting to have outlets to show
school spirit, and Unity Week as well as two whole-school assemblies
have been planned with this in mind. The Class of 2016, I look to you to
please set a positive tone for your peers and I thank you for taking the
time to read my message.

Have a great weekend and GO JACKETS!

Sam Pasarow

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

To _unsubscribe___from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>bhs-request at lmi.netwith one word only in the
subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent from the email
address that is subscribed to the list.