[BHS Etree] BUSD: Science Experiments and Watershed Poetry Festival at BHS

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Sep 28 17:38:52 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact markcoplan at berkeley.net

Here are two of the many things I came across at Berkeley High last week:

*BHS Mills-Campisi's Class Experiment Sept 2015*

I came across Berkeley High biology teacher Russell Mills-Campisi outside
doing a science experiment with his students. The experiment was one that
involved mixing Mentos with soda to achieve a chemical reaction. The
coolest thing was when I saw students pouring out soda to make space for
the experiment instead of drinking it. Our kids are smart.

*Photos*:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/albums/72157656810662734

*Watershed Poetry Festival Reading at Berkeley High 2015*

Berkeley High teacher Alan Miller delivered another successful program to
students last week, bringing three outstanding poets from this year’s
Watershed Poetry Festival. The annual festival took place in Berkeley on
Saturday. Mr. Miller has worked with the organizer for many years to bring
some of the poets into Berkeley High. Check out video and photos.

*Photos*:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/albums/72157658721366449 *Video*:
 https://vimeo.com/140537824

*The Poets:*

*Robert Hass*, U.S. Poet Laureate Emeritus, Pulitzer Prize and National
Book Award-winning poet and essayist. He is professor of English at the
University of California, Berkeley. He is also a grandparent of current BHS
students.

*MK Chavez*, Oakland-based spoken word artist and poet.  She has served on
many boards, has served as a fellow at several prestigious writing camps,
and has legions of passionate followers.  She has had numerous books
published by Zeitgeist Press. She is a BHS parent.

*Chris Olander*, performance poet.  Known for incorporating the sounds of
birds and other animals into his work.  Published several books.  Regular
reader at this version of the Festival.

--

Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer

Berkeley Unified School District

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)
To *subscribe *to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*