[BHS Etree] CLUBS: Correction - Mountain Bike Team Meeting Sept 24 (Thur)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Sep 21 15:35:42 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this message, contact Clem Donahue,
clement.donahue at ucsf.edu <mailto:clement.donahue at ucsf.edu>*

*

*The Mountain Bike Club will be having a lunch time meeting THIS
Thursday, Sept. 24 in Room G305 at Lunch Time*

IF your daughter or son currently loves to ride a bike, is looking to
change sports or has developed a new keen interest in this sport, have
them come to this information meeting. There will be several of the
coaches at the meeting and many of the current riders on the team. We
will show a super great film done by one of our favorite coaches last
season about the team from last year's racing season to help them
understand what part of the season is about. PLUS, we will have pizza
for all !! (early carb load)! Have students come, learn and meet the
other kids. *The team is all inclusive and is open to both girls and boys. *

Mountain Biking at BHS in general:

There are currently about 20-25 youths at BHS who ride for the team.
This team, with it's fantastic success last year, has drawn a LOT of new
interest! We are expecting about 20+ new riders/racers this year, most
from the incoming 9th graders and a few 10th graders, but we are excited
about new 11/12th graders also!

Trainings are in the Spring, Tues and Thurs after school and on Sunday
am. Typically the training rides are divided into 3 groups, each group
with 2 coaches-based on skill. EVERYONE makes the team, no 'cuts'.
During the Spring there are about 5-7 races, typically every other
weekend. We drive to races as they are 'out of town' but typically not
too far away.

We race against a lot of other HS teams in NorCal - all great kids!This
team is pretty relaxed and after a few races the kids all know each
other and often become friends- (really....yes really...it's a pretty
cool- easy going sport)

BHS was recognized by many to be the FIRST High School Mountain bike
team in California if not the country!

Boys race boys and girls race girls. The 9th graders race 9th (the race
is about 9 miles) 10th graders race 10th graders (about 14 miles) and
11th/12th graders race in either Varsity or JV, the students choosing
which is best fit for them. Lots of 12th graders race JV.

Even though the kids ride their own bike, it's still very much a 'team
sport' and there is LOTS of support from the upper classmen to the
younger riders. It's a very supportive team from the youth, the coaches
and the parent support crew.

You get Full PE credit for the year. It helps to have a mountain bike
and we have a few loaner bikes althuogh unfortunately not a great many,
but we will happily work with you on this issue.

NOTE:*There will be a PARENT AND STUDENT INFORMATION MEETING for all the
parents and students to attend on Thursday Oct 15th, 7:30 *Location at
BHS:TBA

We look forward to showing the movie again to get you excited, and there
will be a lot of coaches, riders and members there to answer all your Qs
and help you get your student involved.

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(/T//he request must be sent from the email address that
is subscribed to the list/.)

To _subscribe _to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*