[BHS Etree] ADMIN: All-School Parent Meeting, Oct. 6 - We Need You On School Committees!

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Sep 20 08:13:29 PDT 2015

Dear Parents and Guardians,

I hope this email finds you well. We have just completed our first full week (5 days) of school and things are humming along beautifully. I have observed a number of classes and met many students, and I am excited about what the year will bring.

I am writing to ask you to please save the date for a special evening event for parents and guardians on Tuesday, October 6, 2015, at 6:30 PM at Berkeley High School.

The meeting will have three main focus areas:

  *   Principal's Update on Plans for Improving School Climate and School Spirit
  *   Request for Volunteer Support for Various School Events
  *   Candidates for BHS Committees

I'm looking forward to talking to you about the ways in which we are hoping to ensure that the Berkeley High School community can be a supportive, safe, and spirited environment for all of our students. This includes how we are addressing sexual harassment, bullying, or conflicts between students, and how to have school spirit events that are appropriate and positive experiences.

Part of building a strong community includes the participation of parents and guardians on school committees, so that we can make sound decisions on how to spend resources in support of the many programs and initiatives at Berkeley High. Please see the attached flyer for a description of the committees (information also included below):

  *   BHS School Site Council (SSC)
  *   BHS BSEP Site Committee
  *   District BSEP Planning and Oversight (P&O) Committee

If you're interested in nominating yourself or another guardian or parent for a spot on one of these committees, please fill out the form before September 30 at https://goo.gl/1yNgsd

On October 6, any parents and guardians who are interested in serving on these committees will be able to introduce themselves to the community as part of the evening meeting. We'll start elections that night and conclude by October 9 so we can be up and running with our committees in October.

I am thankful for your attention in reading this email, and I hope to see you on Tuesday night, October 6th, at 6:30 pm.

Have a great weekend, and GO JACKETS!

Sam Pasarow
Principal

BHS PTSA
The Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) at Berkeley High is committed to providing collaborative opportunities for members of the school community to work together to change things for the better. Attend the September PTSA meeting to find out more, vote and volunteer. The most effective committees - the ones that have the most positive impact on both school climate and student achievement - are diverse and representative of the whole community. Bring your unique perspective to one of these groups of parent leaders, who work with students, teachers, staff and administrators to strengthen the school for all.
Contact: Orlando Williams orlandow at ymail.com<mailto:orlandow at ymail.com>

School Site Council (SSC)
This elected committee reviews Berkeley High's educational programs and student achievement data, and supports the development and updating of the school-wide Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is part of the accreditation process at the high school. In addition to monitoring the Plan, the SSC approves the School Safety and the BSEP Site Plans. Meets once (sometimes twice) a month on a Tuesday from 4:00 to 6:00 pm.
Contact: Jana Jandra janajandra at berkeley.net<mailto:janajandra at berkeley.net>

BHS BSEP Site Committee
Parents elected to this committee have a role in allocating site funds that come from the local Berkeley Schools Excellence Program (BSEP) Measure A. The committee reviews the programs that currently receive funding and considers proposals for funding new programs that support student  achievement and school goals. Meets once (sometimes twice) a month on a Monday, 4:30-6:30 pm.
Contact: Jana Jandra janajandra at berkeley.net<mailto:janajandra at berkeley.net>

ELAC (English Learner Advisory Committee)
This committee advises school staff on programs and services for English Learners, and makes recommendations to the SGC regarding funds used to improve the achievement of English language learners. At many sites, this group is also responsible for instituting cultural events and broadening community outreach.
Contact: Tamara Friedman tamarafriedman at berkeley.net<mailto:tamarafriedman at berkeley.net>

DELAC (District English Learner Advisory Committee)
Each school's ELAC has the opportunity to elect at least one member to the DELAC, which advises the district on programs and services for English Learners. DELAC members also represent English Learner students and families in the plans to expend state funds under the new Local Control Funding Formula.
Contact: Ann Marie Callegari anncallegari at berkeley.net<mailto:anncallegari at berkeley.net>

BSEP P&O (Planning & Oversight) Committee
If you are interested in how BSEP dollars are spent district-wide, become one of your school's BSEP Planning & Oversight (P&O) Committee members. Learn how BSEP keeps class sizes smaller, supports our teachers and, through this Measure, provides for school libraries, music and visual arts programs, technology and a site-determined wish list.
Contact: Valerie Tay valerietay at berkeley.net<mailto:valerietay at berkeley.net>

BAF (Berkeley High School Athletic Fund)
For many students, athletics is the reason they attend school every day. If you are passionate about supporting sports at BHS, join this group of volunteers who do everything from mentoring athletes to fundraising and stuffing envelopes. The volunteers come from all walks of life and welcome new members at their monthly meetings.
Contact: Cindy Chang cjchang at berkeley.edu<mailto:cjchang at berkeley.edu>

BHSDG (Berkeley High School Development Group)
Founded in 1991, this group of parent volunteers has taken on the fundraising role of a PTA by forming a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, and works to "support and strengthen the educational experience of all BHS students by raising and distributing funds to enhance academic and other projects." Meetings are once a month and are open to all.
Contact: Co-Presidents Betsy Bigelow-Teller & Jennifer Villeneuve info at bhsdg.org<mailto:info at bhsdg.org>

PAC (Parent Advisory Committee)
The PAC is a forum for parents to provide input for the school district's plan for state funds under the new Local Control Funding Formula. These funds are allocated by the state in a formula which counts each district's proportion of English Learners, students who qualify for free and reduced price meals, and foster children. The role of the PAC is to review and comment on a Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).
Contact Pat Saddler patriciasaddler at berkeley.net<mailto:patriciasaddler at berkeley.net>

In addition to the committees listed, here are some key resources:
Parent Resource Center
BHS Main Building, 2nd Floor
Contact: Irma Parker irmaparker at berkeley.net<mailto:irmaparker at berkeley.net>

Parent Volunteer Office
Contact: Lisa Sibony lisasibony at berkeley.net<mailto:lisasibony at berkeley.net>

BHS E-Tree Volunteers
BHS-owner at lmi.net<mailto:BHS-owner at lmi.net>

Parents of Children of African Descent (PCAD)
Contact: Laura Babitt lbabitt at yahoo.com<mailto:lbabitt at yahoo.com>

Chicano Latino Academic Social Success (CLASS)
Contact: Lupe Gallegos lupeg at berkeley.edu<mailto:lupeg at berkeley.edu>

Getting to Know BSEP:
Dinner & Workshop
October 22, 2015, 5-8 pm, Malcolm X Elementary
Advisory Committees (PACs), and PTA Leadership

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/