[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Attendance Awareness Month

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Sep 10 19:11:06 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Heidi Weber,
heidiweber at berkeley.net

September Attendance Awareness Month 2015

Attendance Awareness Month is a nationwide recognition of the connection
between school attendance and academic achievement. The goal is to mobilize
schools and communities to promote the value of good attendance and to take
concrete steps toward reducing chronic absence.

Improving student attendance is an essential, cost-effective, but often
overlooked strategy for ensuring our students are on-track to learn and
succeed. Nationwide, as many as one out of 10 students is chronically
absent, meaning they miss 10 percent or more of school days, or nearly a
month. Chronic absence is a leading, early warning indicator of academic
trouble and later dropout.

The good news is that chronic absence is a problem we can solve. While
addressing some attendance barriers—such as health, poor transportation,
and unstable housing—can often require longer-term strategies, everyone can
make a difference by helping students and families understand that going to
school every day and avoiding absences whenever possible is critical to
realizing their hopes and dreams. Too often, we don’t realize how quickly
absences add up: missing just two days every month can cause a child to
fall behind.

For questions about attendance check out the BHS Attendance Website at

bhs.berkeleyschools.net/parents/attendance/

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)
To *subscribe *to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*