[BHS Etree] BUSD: Tentative Agreement Announced Between BUSD and BFT

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri May 29 22:41:49 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan, BUSD Public
Information Officer markcoplan at berkeley.net or Cathy Campbell, President,
BFT bft4tchr at lmi.net

BUSD and BFT Joint Press Release

Tentative Agreement Announced Between BUSD and BFT

May 29, 2015 - Berkeley CA - The Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) and
the Berkeley Federation of Teachers (BFT) are pleased to announce that we
have reached a tentative agreement in the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 contract
negotiations, subject to ratification by the BFT and approval by the BUSD
Board of Education.

In the area of compensation, all BFT bargaining unit wages, including
salaries, stipends, daily rates and hourly rates shall be adjusted to
reflect a two year compensation increase totaling eight percent (8%) over
two years, comprised of a five percent (5%) ongoing increase that includes a
one percent (1.0%) increase to the District's contribution to health
benefits, and a three percent (3%) one-time bonus paid in 2016-2017.  An
additional two percent (2%) ongoing increase will occur in the second year
of the agreement contingent on state funding.  More specifically:

Teachers and counselors employed for 2015-2016 school year shall receive an
on schedule increase to all rates and schedules of four percent (4%),
effective July 1, 2015.

Teachers and counselors employed for 2015-2016 school year shall receive a
one-time lump sum bonus equal to three percent (3%) of their salary for
2016-2017.

In the event the District receives at least $2,000,000 additional dollars in
ongoing state funding for Adult Education, 2016-2017 employees shall receive
an on schedule compensation increase of two percent (2%).

Effective January 1, 2016, the District will increase its contribution to
health benefits by the equivalent of one percent (1%).

The agreement clarifies the expectation that secondary teachers regularly
update the PowerSchool Grade Book, and expands qualifying family members for
bereavement leave. In addition the agreement provides for reopeners in
2016-2017 to address important issues around instructional time and support,
and a separate reopener for compensation.

According to BFT President Cathy Campbell, "This agreement reflects a very
significant investment in retaining Berkeley's excellent teachers, and in
creating the conditions to be able to continue to attract talented new and
veteran teachers to BUSD. This strengthens schools, our community, and our
ability to continue to improve outcomes for students."

"I'm happy to reach this tentative agreement with our Berkeley Federation of
Teachers (BFT)", said Superintendent Donald Evans after the successful
conclusion of negotiations at 1:00 a.m. on Thursday. "Our teachers provide
the foundation for our children to excel, and it's important to keep in mind
that we must continue to attract and retain highly qualified teachers to
challenge, inspire and motivate our students".

"The School Board members are all incredibly proud of Berkeley's hard
working and high quality teachers who are BUSD's biggest asset," said Board
President Judy Appel. "We are thrilled to reach such a positive agreement,
setting the stage for a fresh and exciting 2015-16 school year."

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe