[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Constructed Response Essay Info. plus Rubric

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Apr 23 17:14:19 PDT 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact tamarafriedman at berkeley.net
<mailto:tamarafriedman at berkeley.net> and/or glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net
<mailto:glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net>

Dear BHS Families,

Next week in their English classes, 9th and 10th grade students will
write their Final Constructed Response essay. *Constructed Response *is
Berkeley High School’s way, on a school-wide level, of providing
students quarterly practice and feedback in reading and taking notes on
informational texts and writing argumentative essays. Constructed
Response also lets us know how effective we are in teaching students how
to write organized, logical, evidence-supported arguments.

BHS English teachers created this assessment to prepare students for
college level writing.

All 9th and 10th grade students have written 3 argumentative essays
already this year- first in their English classes, then in their History
classes and recently in their Science classes. Students received
feedback on each of these essays and English teachers provided writing
instruction.

Next week, students will write their final argumentative essay of the
year. To let you know how your child is progressing, we will be mailing
home a letter including a report of their performance on this task. We
will include the rubric we use to score these essays. The rubric is also
included as an attachment and /for e-tree subscribers who get the digest
version/, links to the rubric are included below. To support your
student's improvement in writing a strong essay, you can use this rubric
to help them evaluate any argumentative essay.

You can find the rubric here:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/BHS-CR-Rubric-2014-2015.pdf

or using a shorter url here: http://goo.gl/4Tr1XB

Thank you!

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS