[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Multiple Fights and Police Activity After School Today

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 10 19:27:19 PDT 2015

Dear BHS Community:

After school today, approximately 15-20 fights took place off campus
from about 3:40 to 4:20 pm on the east side of Berkeley High in the
Kittredge, Shattuck, Channing area. Approximately 400-500 students and
non-students were on the street or involved in the fighting and
approximately 23 BPD officers and the entire BHS Safety Staff and
Administration responded.

The fights involved Berkeley High students, non-students from San
Leandro and Oakland, as well as adults. At least three Berkeley High
students and two BTech students were arrested and multiple students will
face additional school discipline for their involvement.

Following initial reports of fighting today at lunch on Shattuck,
Berkeley High Administration alerted BPD, who increased police presence
for dismissal. An increased number of non-students, in part because
other school districts are on Spring Break this week, were observed
around campus after lunch and BHS administrators and safety staff were
vigilant in not allowing non-students on campus.

We see no immediate impact on normal school operations for next week. We
will continue to call for additional safety presence if information
supports the need and we will provide additional details to our families
and community where it is relevant and appropriate to do so.

Please advise your students to move away from gathering crowds. When
students run toward a fight it adds fuel to an already heated situation,
makes it difficult to identify the parties who are involved, and risks
injury to innocent people. Moving away from a fight also allows safety
staff to do their job.

--

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*