[BHS Etree] LEADERSHIP: Environmental Law contest & D.C. Youth Forum Sholarship

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Feb 5 15:07:00 PST 2015

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact John Villavicencio
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>

Included below are opportunities for students interested in the creation
of environmental policy and the opportunity to attend a forum in
Washington D.C. on the environment. Please read below for more details
and *contact each person directly for more info. *

*​1. There Ought to be a Law Contest​*

**

Assembly member Tony Thurmond is hosting a district-wide contest, “There
Ought to Be a Law.” This contest is open to all high school students who
live in the 15th District. Assembly member Thurmond is seeking
legislative ideas about how we, as a state, can better protect, improve,
and strengthen our ecosystem and environment. The selected winner will
be given the opportunity to testify before an Assembly Committee and
have lunch with Assembly member Thurmond and his staff at which time the
winner can advocate for their legislative idea.

The Assembly member's website (www.asmdc.org/members/a15
<http://www.asmdc.org/members/a15>) will have an application that
students can submit if they would like to participate in this contest.
The application will not be open until next week and will close Friday,
February 27th, 2015.

If teachers would like to have one of the Field Representative from
Assembly member Thurmond’s office present this contest and discuss
legislative matters to their class, we would be more than happy to
accommodate that request. Please contact our office if you would like to
participate, or if you have any questions, (510) 286-1400
<tel:%28510%29%20286-1400>.

**

*Brandon M. Baranco*

Office of Assembly​ ​

member Tony Thurmond

1515 Clay Street, Ste. 2201

Oakland, CA 94612

Phone: (510) 286-1400 <tel:%28510%29%20286-1400>|Fax : (510) 286-1406
<tel:%28510%29%20286-1406>

_www.asmdc.org/members/a15/ <http://www.asmdc.org/members/a15/>_|
_brandon.baranco at asm.ca.gov <mailto:brandon.baranco at asm.ca.gov>_

​

*​2. Environmental Youth Forum​*

While it seems like we might not find someone this time around for the
Environmental Youth Forum, I do want to let you know that for students
interested in learning more about population AND making policy changes,
and who want to do so *in Washington, DC*, there is an amazing
opportunity provided by Population Connection this April called *Capitol
Hill Days: April 10 - 14*.  A day of training on population, a day of
training on lobbying, and then two days on Capitol Hill actually
lobbying your congress people. The event is free but requires
registration.  Population Connection is offering *travel and board
scholarships for student attendees who apply by February 27th* (and the
application is very simple!).  Find out more at

http://www.populationconnection.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CapitolHillDays

Anushka Drescher, Ph.D.*
*Director of Youth Education

Institute for Population Studies, Berkeley, CA USA www.howmany.org*
* <http://www.howmany.org>

PASSION ---> INITIATIVE ---> CHANGE
John Villavicencio
Director of Student Activities
Berkeley High School
(510) 644 - 8990
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>

@TheJacketHive

@BerkeleyHighASB

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS