[BHS Etree] ADMIN: After School Police Incidents Jan. 22 (Thur)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jan 22 17:06:12 PST 2015

Dear BHS Community:

In the interest of providing clear and transparent communications, we are
writing to inform you of two off-campus fights which drew very large crowds
after school today. The first fight occurred at about 1:05 pm in front of
the school on Milvia and Kittredge. Approximately 200 students gathered to
observe what appeared to be a conflict between a group of BHS students and
several non-students.

BHS staff and officers from the Berkeley Police Department responded quickly
and dispersed the crowd. Of serious and significant concern is the fact that
an adult witness claims to have seen what they believed to be a firearm
shortly before staff and BPD intervened.

At present, BHS students connected to the incident have been removed from
campus pending further investigation.

Approximately an hour later at 2:15 pm, another fight involving
approximately ten students broke out in front of the Verizon store on
Shattuck. It is not clear whether the two fights were related. The incident
stopped traffic and a large number of patrol cars responded. At this time,
we have two reported victims of the fight, both Berkeley High students; one
was released to his family and the other was injured and transported to the
hospital.

At this time, one Berkeley High student has been arrested. BPD and BHS staff
continues to investigate.

As of this writing we see no immediate impact on normal school operations
for tomorrow. BPD will provide additional police presence near campus at
dismissal and through the evening. We will provide additional details to our
families and community where it is relevant and appropriate to do so.

Please advise your students to move away from gathering crowds.  When
students run toward a fight it adds fuel to an already very heated
situation, makes it difficult to identify the parties who are directly
involved, and risks additional injury to innocent people.  This will also
allow safety staff to do their job.

Sincerely,

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe