[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Message from Principal Glenchur Regarding Sexual Harassment FAQs

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Dec 16 12:56:33 PST 2014

Dear Community,

Today during third period, teachers paused their classes to read over the
following information with students.  We also sent this email to each
student individually via email.  We wanted you to be aware of this
communication and to provide you with the same information that they
received today.

- Kristin Glenchur
-------------------------

*Right now, every student at Berkeley High is receiving information about
Sexual Harassment. We're also asking teachers to take time out of class to
make sure each of you is aware of what Sexual Harassment is, what the
consequences can be, and to emphasize the importance of stopping
harassment.  Additional opportunities to address this issue are being
planned for after the break.*

*Each of you are receiving a copy of the Sexual Harassment FAQs in your
email and we encourage you to read it closely and look at the resources
listed there to learn more about this issue. There should be copies of it
posted throughout the school. For those of you who have been or are
affected by harassment from another student or a staff member, we encourage
you to report it to a trusted adult. Staff members are responsible for
reporting any incidences of harassment to an administrator.  The Health
Center is also a great resource for all of you.  *

*Here are some particular points of emphasis we want to highlight:  *

*1) Sexual Harassment is defined as unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature.
Examples include sending naked pictures over the internet, making sexually
explicit comments either in person or over the internet, and unwanted and
uninvited touching of a sexual nature. *

*2) Even voluntarily sending naked pictures of yourself is considered
sexual harassment and is also illegal. In all cases, school officials must
cyberspace, it is impossible to control who receives them and puts students
at great risk.*

*3) Sexual Harassment that occurs "off campus" may still be a school
offense if it disrupts the learning environment.*

*4) All staff members must report sexual harassment complaints directly to
administration.  *

*Students, the culture of bullying and harassment will not change until
each of us participates in changing it. Please do your part and speak up
against harassment.*

Kristin Glenchur
Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS
etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS website:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*
To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*