[BHS Etree] ADMIN: After school Activities Cancelled Today, Campus Closed Today at 4:15

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Dec 8 14:58:42 PST 2014

Dear BHS Community:

In an abundance of caution we are canceling all after school activities
today, Monday 12/8, on the Berkeley High Campus and encouraging all
staff and students to go home right after school. This is in light of
last night's protests and activities in the downtown area and
information that additional demonstrations are planned for this
afternoon centering around the University and the downtown area. We will
be clearing campus at 3:45 p.m. and securing the facility by 4:30. There
will be limited access into and out of BHS after this time.

We have no specific indication of any intent to cause harm to the campus
or our kids, yet the developments of last night, coupled with our
responsibility to ensure student safety, are leading us to this
decision. While there was no significant damage or impact on BHS as a
result of last night's demonstrations, there were several issues in the
Shattuck corridor that leave us concerned as the day winds down and as
we receive word of plans for additional demonstrations.

We will be adding some additional safety staff at BHS for the late
afternoon, but we reiterate that the safest option for students is to
join their families or make their way home right after school.

There will be limited supervised areas for students who cannot get home
right away including the library and learning center, but both will
close no later than 5:30. Please communicate with your student about the
safest location that s/he can go right after school.

We continue to assume positive intent on behalf of most of those who
organize demonstrations, and support the rights of peaceful and
productive demonstration and assembly, yet there are simply too many
variables and liabilities in these types of crowd situations for us to
be anything other than cautious.

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe. *To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*