[BHS Etree] ADMIN: BHS & Recent Downtown Berkeley Events

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Dec 8 09:26:16 PST 2014

Dear Community,

We wanted to report to you that other than a small amount of graffiti on
the exterior of Berkeley High, we did not experience any other damage
following the events this weekend in Downtown Berkeley.

We know our community is still feeling much pain from recent national
events. Student leaders have made us aware that they have advertised and
are planning a walkout for this Wednesday, December 10th between 5th and
6th periods. I've advised them that our responsibility is to keep them
safe and we cannot support or condone a walkout during the school day.
Those who choose to leave school will be marked as having an unexcused
absence and will not be able to make up their work. Please discuss this
with your child, especially in light of the direction the protests took
this weekend in Berkeley.

This in no way indicates a stance we are taking on the protests going on
throughout the nation.  Many of our teachers are holding discussions
about the recent events, and the African American Studies Department is
planning a lesson in January for all students. We want to support and
educate our students through this time and keep them safe while they are
with us.

--

Kristin Glenchur

Principal, Berkeley High School

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree
to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a
message, send to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS