[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: Help Berkeley High Score Essays to Support Our Writing Initiative!

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Nov 5 17:46:06 PST 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Tamara Friedman
tamarafriedman at berkeley.net or Glenn Wolkenfeld glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net

Dear BHS Parents,

We are inviting you to participate in a school wide writing assessment here
at BHS.

As many of you know, last year we initiated several school wide writing
tasks throughout the year. We've called these "Constructed Response." These
tasks require students to read, annotate informational texts, interpret data
and write argumentative essays responding to a prompt. This year, we will
give four "Constructed Response" writing assessments. These assessments have
become an essential part of how we measure our progress in getting kids to
write evidence-based arguments with sophistication and clarity.  To ensure
validity and reliability, the pre and post Constructed Response writing
assessments are scored by English teachers.

In order to make this sustainable, for the two interim Constructed Response
tasks we need parents and other community members to help us with scoring.

Here's what we're asking for if you're interested:

1. We'll need you to come to BHS to participate in one of four, hour-long
"norming" sessions. Norming sessions are a way of ensuring that scorers have
similar interpretations of student work and understandings of the scoring
rubric.

2. "Normed" parents will then be invited to participate in any/all of five
scheduled scoring sessions to score student essays.

The four norming sessions will be held:

1. Wednesday November 12th at 9:00 in C323 (after being normed you can stay
and score as long as you'd like until 3:30)

2. Thursday November 13th at 9:00 in C323  (after being normed you can stay
and score as long as you'd like until 1:20)

3. Friday November 14th at 9:00 in C323  (after being normed you can stay
and score as long as you'd like until 3:30)

4. Monday November 17th at 9:00 in C323 (after being normed you can stay and
score as long as you'd like until 3:30)

Note that once you've been normed you can come back any of the days listed
above to continue scoring.

Please send us an email to let us know you'll be coming to a norming
session. Contact Tamara Friedman at tamarafriedman at berkeley.net or Glenn
Wolkenfeld at glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net.

Tamara Friedman, NBCT

Berkeley High School Professional Development Co Coordinator

ELD Coordinator

(510) 610-7795

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe