[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Friday Update

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Oct 25 08:11:47 PDT 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Jorge Melgoza
jorgemelgoza at berkeley.net

(Note from the moderators: The message below was received at the E-tree on
Friday night, Oct. 24 but we were unable to post it until today - Saturday,
Oct. 25.)

Dear Parents/Guardians,

As many of you know, today was a day when students chose to dress up in our
school colors. The school did not sponsor events this week, and in fact
cancelled the official rally following the 2012-2013 school year given the
history of rampant alcohol abuse and accompanying hazing and bullying
behavior that became the hallmarks of this "celebration".

We are disappointed to report that students continued to engage in these
behaviors at the end of the day. Fifteen students were found to be
intoxicated and have been suspended as of this evening. At the end of the
day, a crowd of approximately 500 students participated in hazing and
bullying behavior that began with chanting and shortly thereafter included
throwing glass bottles and other objects into a crowd. Police had to be
called in to assist administration and safety staff.

 We had no student injuries today, although we did have a significant injury
to a staff member who was transported to the hospital and two additional
staff members were hit in attempts to break up the mob scene that large
groups of students had created. These injuries to staff are being taken
seriously and police will be involved when necessary. We will have a more
detailed correspondence to you once we have completed our investigation. The
climate and culture of Berkeley High School today was not something we were
proud of today. The immense drain on school and city resources created by
the junior and senior classes clearly indicates a need for further education
and coaching about community responsibility.

Several consequences will be considered as a response, and any property
damage costs associated with today's events may be subsidized by funds
presently set aside for school events including prom. Please find time this
weekend to have conversations with your student.

Again, we will update you with additional details and decisions next week.

Jorge Melgoza

Vice Principal

facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message,
send to:  <mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe

bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: subscribe