[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: College Career Center Updates

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 30 16:51:52 PDT 2014

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact College and Career Center
atskylerbarton at berkeley.netor angelaprice at berkeley.net

College Advisors Angela Price and Skyler Barton are excited to report
the following College Career Center Updates for the fall of 2014:

*_College Info Session for Parents/Guardians of BHS Seniors: _*

We invite all parents/guardians of BHS Seniors to join us for our annual
College Info Session on Thursday, Oct. 2nd, at 6:30pm in the BHS
Library. We are extremely excited by the return of clerical
extraordinaire Mary Jacobs.  In addition, we are equally excited about
the presence of our new Career Advisor, Kate Trimlett!

*_CCC Staff:_*

Please refer to our updated College Career Center Work Experience page
for information about employment, internship, and volunteer
opportunities:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/work-opportunities/
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/work-opportunities/>

*_Class Presentations and Senior Folders:_*

During the month of September, College Advisors conducted class
presentations for all seniors.  In addition, to supplement the
information that was provided during these presentations and to provide
important references for all seniors, we have distributed college
folders to each senior English class (seniors in AHA, AMPS, CAS & GRN
may have received this folder in a non-English class).  Please encourage
your student to utilize this folder and refer to it throughout the
college application process.

*_Application Workshops:_*

We are looking forward to conducting application workshops throughout
the months of October and November. For the first time, we are offering
these workshops during the school day for students in ALL Learning
Communities. In-class workshops will focus on CSU applications, but
students will be allowed to work on UC and/or Community College
applications or research during this time as well (if they are not
planning on applying to CSUs). College Advisors and BHS Counselors are
leading these workshops.  In-class workshops are being coordinated
through AC and BIHS English teachers (one period per class), and various
teachers in AHA, AMPS, CAS, and GRN.

In addition to the application workshops referenced above, College
Advisors will be conducting after school workshops in late-October and
throughout November. Schedules will be distributed soon.

*_Senior Advising Sessions:_*

Finally, College Advisors Skyler Barton and Angela Price will make
themselves available to small groups of seniors for college-related
advice and questions. Seniors are invited to schedule small group
meetings with peers of their choice, in groups of 3-5.  Group sessions
will be one full period and seniors will receive an excused absence for
the missed class. Seniors should visit the CCC to schedule an
appointment time. These small group meetings will replace the former
format of shorter, one-on-one meetings with seniors. The new hour-long
meetings will be able to more thoroughly and efficiently address the
questions and concerns shared by seniors with similar college interests.
Students with questions about finding an appointment time or who need a
peer group can speak with Mary Jacobs for suggestions. Mary is in the
CCC Tuesdays through Fridays from 8:00-1:00 (9:00-2:00 on Mondays).

In addition to the group meetings, seniors may continue to utilize
drop-in hours (before school, during lunch, and after school) to meet
individually with their College Advisor.

We look forward to supporting our students throughout this year as they
move forward with post-secondary planning!

Sincerely,

The BHS College Career Center

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*.