[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Fridays and Beyond

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Aug 28 17:42:58 PDT 2014

Dear Berkeley High Families,

Many of you have expressed concern about the next several Fridays and a
tradition of hazing freshman. We want to state clearly that we do not
tolerate bullying, hazing, or harassment of our students.

The community and Berkeley High have been working very hard to eliminate
this tradition and in recent years we have had very few reported
incidences of a student being hazed ON CAMPUS. There have been some
reports of off campus egg throwing at lunch and after school. Berkeley
Police are aware and are providing extra patrols on Fridays.Our Campus
Safety Officers, Administrators, and Staff are also giving extra
attention to hallways, bathrooms, and areas peripheral to the school.

Students who are caught participating in hazing on their way to school,
during the school day, or after school will be given an automatic 5-day
suspension and may face criminal charges. If your child is being
intimidated while on or off campus, we encourage you to contact the
Dean's Office at 644-8985 or 644-6675. Your child can also come in to
OCI (H104) to file an incident report if something occurs. Off campus
incidents should be reported to the Berkeley Police Department, who will
investigate and potentially pursue criminal prosecution.

Parents, please have a conversation with your children about respecting
and welcoming all of our new students and continuing to do the right
thing by not participating in hazing. This behavior will die off when
individuals and the community choose to stop hurting each other and
instead choose to support each other. Please urge your child to join
that movement.

Thanks for your attention,

Kristin Glenchur

--