[BHS Etree] BUSD: BHS African American Studies Graduation 2014 Photos

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Jun 1 14:50:21 PDT 2014

PLEASE do not reply to  this email, contact Mark Coplanmarkcoplan at berkeley.netBH  <mailto:markcoplan at berkeley.net>

*BHS African American Studies Graduation 2014*

Deputy Superintendent Javetta Cleveland gave the welcome, Superintendent
Donald Evans and Board Director Karen Hemphill presented the
certificates, and the Superintendent presented the Rights of Passage.
According to retired chair of the department Dr. Robert McKnight, this
signified the greatest level of District participation he could recall.

Keynote speaker, actor, and BHS class of 1960 alumni Art Evans piped in
that the Berkeley schools had really come a long way, because when he
was a student, none of the three would have been African American, let
alone all three. In his speech he told students that he was amazed that
they had such resources as the African American Studies Department and
Department Chair Naomi "Mama" Washington, and that it would have made a
real difference if students had that kind of support back when he was a
student. He encouraged students to make the best of the progress that's
been made, and to make a difference in the world. A big surprise was the
number of Art's family who attended, with two of his great nieces who
are graduating! He will be here for their graduation at the Greek
Theater, but did not know they would be attending this celebration.

Special guest, Student Commencement Speaker Akintunde Ahmid from Oakland
Tech High School talked about his own journey to a 5.0 GPA and
acceptance into all of the top colleges in the country. He told his
fellow students, "As your principal already expressed, we live in a
world that is far from perfect, and I'm sure all of us know that as
black people, we're often viewed in the most negative light. We're often
stereotyped, people pass judgement on us based on how we look, how we
talk, but I'm here to say that in reality nobody can define you for
yourself. You really are the person who says what you can and cannot do.
It doesn't matter what your skin looks like, how many tattoos you have.
None of that matters if you have inside you what it takes to strive for
excellence, and pursue the dedication and take advantage of the
opportunities presented to you."

There was also dance, drumming, the reception and more. See it all in
photos of the program and of the students receiving their certificates.

BHS African American Studies Graduation 2014 Photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157644539163330/

BHS African American Studies Graduation 2014 the Certificates:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157644539968007/

You can download your photos from Flickr. Click the right side of your
mouse on the photo you want to download. You will some options on the
right side of the photo. Click on the three dots which lead to more
options. Click on Download All Sizes. Click on "Original Size" (right
side of mouse), then click on "Download" and save to a folder on your
computer.

--
Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer

Berkeley Unified School District

510-644-6320 <tel:510-644-6320> Cell: 510-472-3811 <tel:510-472-3811>

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS