[BHS Etree] EVENTS: Holiday Meal, Dec. 14 (Sat)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Dec 9 19:34:06 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact John Villavicencio
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

Below is information for contributors and volunteers for this upcoming
weekend:

The annual Holiday Meal will take place on Saturday, December 14. This
special event features over 300 BHS students serving a warm meal, offering
clothing, books, shoes, toys, blankets and providing entertainment for some
300-500 homeless or low-income people and families in the Berkeley
community. Our goal this year is to collect 15,000 pounds worth of canned
food. We currently stand at 10,000 pounds of pledged food, collected cans,
and clothing. The office is fairly full, but we still have room for anything
else you wish to bring to the school before Friday.

DONATION INFORMATION
Fresh food donations can be delivered between 4:30pm-7pm on Friday, December
13 or 8am-12pm of Saturday, December 14 to the main doors of the school at
Milvia and Allston. Please indicate what time you would like deliver your
donation. We should have student volunteers present at the doors ready to
help you carry items from the curb.

There are bins placed around campus (C bldg, G bldg, Leadership Office) for
collections of canned goods or warm coats and socks.

What we are most in need of is pre-cooked hams or turkeys, potato or
yam-based dishes, green salads or vegetable dishes, and any kind of dessert.

Monetary donations are accepted as cash in the Leadership Office (make sure
it gets to Mr. Villavicencio) or as checks written to "BHS Student
Activities" with "Holiday Meal" in the memo line. These donations are tax
deductible and a letter of receipt with the school tax ID number will be
given upon request. They can be mailed to:

Berkeley High School
ATTN: John Villavicencio
1980 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94704

VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
Thank you for signing up and contributing your time to make this event
highly successful. When you arrive to BHS for your shift, please head to
Conference Room B (by the counseling offices) to sign in. Fill in a name
tag. We will have Volunteer Orientation meetings at the beginning of each
shift. If you arrive early or late, look for Mr. V or Eleana Binder, student
organizer of the HM, to have them assign you a task. Please exercise
patience and gratitude on this day as there will be around 100 volunteers
for each shift.

One of the great aspects of the Holiday Meal is that so many students get
involved through donating food or volunteering at the event. Parent, staff
or student volunteers must be able to commit to the entirety of one or more
of the following shifts:

1. Friday Funsters: 4-8:30pm on December 13
2. Early Birds: 7:30-Noon on December 14
3. Homestretch Heroes: Noon-4:30pm on December 14 (We have less than 10
spots remaining for this shift. Please consider signing up for Friday
instead...)

Here is what each shift entails:
1. Friday Funsters will begin setting up and decorating the Food Court. They
will also start preparing some dishes that can be refrigerated over night.

2. Early Birds will continue decorating the space, receive deliveries, put
up signage, entertain guests waiting in line, and prepare more food.

3. Homestretch Heroes will put food on the buffet line, serve the meal from
the line or act as servers and bussers, provide entertainment, distribute
gifts, and clean up.

Do feel free to contact the Director of Student Activities, John
Villavicencio at  <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net or fax him at  <tel:510.644.8990>
510.644.8990.

Thank you volunteers and contributors to the Holiday Meal!!!

John Villavicencio
Director of Student Activities
Berkeley High School
(510) 644 - 8990
 <mailto:johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net> johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.