[BHS Etree] ATHLETICS: Berkeley Athletic Fund Meeting, Dec. 9 (Mon.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Dec 5 08:12:55 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Richard  Boyden,
rboyden87 at gmail.com <mailto:rboyden87 at gmail.com> or (510) 847-6889

Our monthly meeting will be next Monday at 7:00 PM in the BHS Library.
Please come and help us move the BAF agenda and activities.  A lot is
going on.

1. Our fundraising campaign for the fall is in full swing. If you
haven't sent in your contribution, please do so today.

2. We are planning a number of other fundraisers -- an evening of
billiards and sociability at /Thallasia/ March 5, 6:30-8:30 PM, 2367
Shattuck Ave. and  our annual Golf Classic in Tilden Park on May 2 (mark
your calendars!) *We need volunteers to work on the Golf Classic.*

3. A lot is going on in terms of finding more resources for sports,
fitness and PE at BHS and in the District as a whole.  In late October,
the State of California published alarming fitness test results for
Berkeley High ninth-graders  Only 20% of the kids tested scored fit in
all five measures.

However, the sample consisted  only of 247 kids out of a class of about
800! Those 247 were all the Freshmen enrolled in PE. These numbers have
shaken a lot of people up, and possible change is in the wind!

We are also expecting the School Board to hold a Study Session on our
issues some time in the next few months. This will be an unprecedented
opportunity to give voice to the need to dramatic reform in the way we
fund our programs in the Berkeley.

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*.