[BHS Etree] School Safety Awareness

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Oct 22 07:22:43 PDT 2013

Dear Parents and Staff:

Today's incident at Sparks Middle School in Nevada is a tragic reminder
of how necessary it is for us to consistently review school policies,
protocols, and contingencies for responding to an emergency situation
whether it is an issue of violence or a disaster.

Last week, under the direction of our Dean of Students, Ardarius
McDonald, we participated in the Great California Shake Out to prepare
for a potential earthquake. Our safety staff is reviewing the feedback
and observations from that drill to prepare for a more robust drill this
winter that will feature a simulated activation of our Incident Command
System and staff-populated response teams for fire suppression,
first-aid, and light search and rescue.

Elsewhere, for the past two years we have, in conjunction with the
Berkeley Police Department, run simulations of a campus lockdown, a
protocol wherein we completely secure the campus in response to a
potentially violent threat. In fact, last spring, on March 20, after an
incident in downtown Berkeley, and on the advice of BPD, we actually did
secure the campus with that protocol. In general terms we believe that
our responses with both the drills and the actual initiation of the
protocol were effective, yet we are always evaluating
and reevaluating these responses toward improvement. We will rehearse
and drill this protocol again in the near future with BPD.

One simple but critical reminder you can give students at any time is
that if they are out of class when a lockdown is initiated, they are to
proceed to the nearest classroom or safe/secure space even if it is not
their classroom. This sounds obvious, but amidst chaos and panic in a
situation where the threat may not be directly visible to a student,
there may be a tendency to attempt to return to familiar or assigned
spaces. This is not what we want students to do so please review with
them the idea that if a campus lockdown is initiated they are to move
into the /nearest classroom or safe space even if that classroom is not
one that they are assigned to./

*I by no means want to cause folks unnecessary anxiety, yet today we are
again sadly reminded of the persistent need to keep these concerns at
the forefront of our thinking. *

Respectfully,

Pasquale Scuderi

Principal

bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.  To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>; BHS
website:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to
bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in
the subject line: *subscribe*.