[BHS Etree] BUSD: BHS 1st Month Activities and ACOE's Teacher of the Year Awards

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Oct 5 07:55:38 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan
markcoplan at berkeley.net

It's already October, and a lot has happened at Berkeley High. Here are the
things I've been able to capture so far. Enjoy.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer

-------------------------------

Berkeley High School First Week of School 2013-14

This is just a brief look into the first week of school at Berkeley High
School, which is off to a great start.

Berkeley High School First Week of School 2013-14 Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157635348233077/

In case you're interested in the bigger picture, BUSD's First Week of School
Photos:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157635360603235/

Berkeley High School's First Football Game

BUSD's new Superintendent, Dr. Donald Evans joined BHS Principal Pasquale
Scuderi on the field for Berkeley High's first home game of the season to
root for the varsity football team. The Pep Band looks bigger than recent
memory. Great job Karen Wells!

See Photos of Berkeley High's First Varsity Football Home Game:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157635432534122/

Tim Moellering Field Dedication Celebration

There was a dedication celebration for Berkeley High School's new Tim
Moellering Field at Derby and Martin Luther King Jr. Way on September 21st.
This is a state of the art multi-use field that is worth seeing, if you
haven't already.  An unexpected September rainstorm, which some credited to
former Berkeley High teacher and coach Tim Moellering, who generally avoided
any attention, couldn't keep a crowd of over 250 away. Facilities quickly
opened BTECH's multipurpose room, and the celebration, including the BBQ
moved inside. It was a good thing that BTECH Principal Sheila Quintana was
on hand for the celebration, and she welcomed everyone into her school.

Tim Moellering Field Dedication Celebration Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157635740445466/

BHS Blood Drive & Guitar Class Sept 2013

September 25th was an interesting day at Berkeley High. I ran into Aaron
Glimme and other teachers and students giving blood in one of B-high's
annual blood drives. Of course ever the scientist, Aaron wasn't just giving
blood, he was going the extra mile and giving plasma or platelets, as you
can see in the photos. Ask your science teacher what that's all about.
According to Student Activities Advisor John Villavicencio, 50 of the 60
people who signed up to give blood were able to donate, myself included.
Blood bank staff said they usually average about 40 pints, so this was a
good day.

To top it off, when I stepped out after a delicious snack served by Kiwanis
volunteers, I found myself surrounded by students in the courtyard playing
folk guitars. At first I thought I might have stood up too fast after giving
blood, but then I saw BUSD's own  modern music teacher Peter Gidlund,
strolling among them  playing a guitar of his own, stopping along the way to
give individual instruction.  Does it get any better than that? Check out a
few photos of both: on Flickr.

BHS Blood Drive & Guitar Class Sept 2013 Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157636126965006/

2013 ACOE Teacher of the Year Awards Berkeley High's Tamara Friedman

On October 3rd The Alameda County Office of Education honored 20 teachers
representing 20 Alameda County districts at the 2013 ACOE Teacher of the
Year Awards, held in the Castro Valley Center for the Arts. Berkeley High
School teacher Tamara Friedman was BUSD's representative. As Tamara said
when excepting the award, "I'm here representing my District and my school,
Berkeley High,.." Better yet, hear her yourself in this video link. You can
also enjoy photos of the event.

2013 ACOE Teacher of the Year Awards Tamara Friedman on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/fkCQOWQhelE

2013 ACOE Teacher of the Year Awards Tamara Friedman Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157636203099255/

Or if you want to see all 20 awardees. Here is the full set of photos.

2013 ACOE Teacher of the Year Awards Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157636175745074/

Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer

Berkeley Unified School District

510-644-6320 Cell: 510-472-3811

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.