[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Safety Committee Mtg., Oct. 8 (Tues) and Joining Info

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Oct 3 16:47:53 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Margit Roos-Collins
margitrooscollins at comcast.net

Next Tuesday, the Safety Committee will hold its first meeting of the school
year.  The committee reviews and approves the school's annual safety plan
and develops the school's annual safety goals and action items, subject to
SSC and school board approval.  It's a volunteer group of staff (including
the Dean of Students, the Intervention Coordinator, and the School Resource
Officer), parents, and students who are interested in learning more about
safety, discipline, and school culture (such as the incidence of bullying,
harassment, and substance use).  We get actively involved in working for the
improvements we want, and we hear some eye-opening speakers.

This year, a number of long-time safety committee parents have "graduated"
from Berkeley High and we are eager for new parent members.  We encourage
you to come to the first meeting to see if it might be for you.  In the
meantime, the Berkeley High website, under "About" and then "Committees,"
has a page for the Safety Committee, where you can find the current goals,
the progress report on the goals from this past spring, the safety plan for
the school, and our bylaws and last year's agendas and minutes.

Note that at the beginning of every meeting, there is a public comment
period.  The committee takes seriously and acts on the information it gets
from those comments.  If you wish to comment and cannot come until closer to
6:00 p.m., you can also speak at the end of the meeting.  The agenda
follows:

Berkeley High School Safety Committee Agenda

October 8, 2013

4:30 pm to 6:00 pm

Building H Room 104

On Campus Intervention Office

Call to Order and Establish Quorum

Approval of Agenda

Public Comment

Introductions of existing and potential new members

Reports by and Q&A with Dean of Students and Intervention Coordinator on
first month of school

Updates on action item progress since the June 10 meeting

Report on results of Olweus bullying survey at Berkeley High

Discuss outreach and recruitment of new members, especially staff and
students

Plan next meeting

Adjournment

<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.  To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/;
BHS website:  <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: unsubscribe.  To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: subscribe.