[BHS Etree] BUSD Shows Gains on the API and AYP

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Aug 29 13:04:54 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan at
markcoplan at berkeley.net

*For Immediate Release*

Thursday, August 29, 2013

*Berkeley Unified School District Shows Gains on the API and AYP*

Berkeley, CA -- August 29, 2013 - The California Department of Education
released the 2013 Accountability Progress Report today. This annual
report contains three sections:  1) the *state* Academic Performance
Index (API) measuring year-to-year growth in academic achievement that a
school or local educational agency (LEA) has made, 2) *federal* Adequate
Yearly Progress (AYP) measuring how well a school meets minimum
performance targets, and 3) Four-year cohort graduation rate data for
the class of 2011--12.

*Academic Performance Index (API) - *Berkeley Unified School District
(BUSD) had an overall growth of 10 points resulting in a district-wide
Academic Performance Index (API) of 821.  The greatest gains in academic
achievement are reflected in the 21-point increase in API for
Socio-Economically Disadvantaged students, 16-point increase for
African-American students, and 11-point growth for Students with
Disabilities (Special-Education students). Further disaggregation by
ethnicity shows smaller API increases for Asian (3), Hispanic or Latino
(6), and White (2) students.  In addition, thirteen out of fourteen of
BUSD's elementary and middle schools continue to exceed the statewide
API target of 800 or above. Several district-wide initiatives have
contributed to the gains for these student groups including the
implementation of Response to Intervention and Instruction (RTI^2 ) in
our K-8 schools, common assessments in the high school, and focused
professional development for teachers. "During the transition to the
Common Core Standards, results varied by grade level, subject area and
student population, but the big picture reflects a focus on growth over
time, thus resulting in overall gains," said Neil Smith, Assistant
Superintendent.

Berkeley High School's API grew by 22-points last year, a total of
41-points over two years, for a school API of 757.  In addition,
Berkeley High School made double-digit gains for African-American (27),
Hispanic or Latino (21) Socio-Economically Disadvantaged students (24)
and Students with Disabilities (41). "We are encouraged by the
improvements in student performance that we see on these particular
measurements," said Principal Pasquale Scuderi. "We see these gains in
part as confirmation that the work we are doing around curriculum
alignment, lesson design, and school culture, is moving us in a positive
direction. These improvements also strengthen our commitment to deepen
and expand our efforts, as while the news is no doubt positive, as a
professional community, we know that generating truly equitable outcomes
for all students on measures like these and a host of others means that
significant work remains."."

*Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) --*AYP targets become more difficult to
reach as a higher percentage of students are required to score
proficient or advanced each year.  The AYP reports indicate that BUSD
increased by 1.5% for Mathematics to 71.6% and decreased by less than 1
percentage point in ELA to 68.7%.  In Mathematics, Hispanic / Latino and
Socio-Economically Disadvantaged (SED) students demonstrated the
greatest gains with over 3% more students at proficiency or higher.

*Graduation Rate -- *The Adequate Yearly Progress report includes a
Cohort High-School Graduation Rate.  Berkeley Unified School District
met all graduation rate targets with more students in the Class of
2011-2012 graduating.  The graduation rate increased from 79.62 the
previous year to 82.99 showing a gain of over 3 points.  In addition,
all significant subgroups with the exception of Students with
Disabilities showed similar gains. The greatest gains were made by
Latino students with a 7.02 percentage point gain and English Learners
with gains of more than 5 points.  Further sub-group analysis also shows
gains for Asian (3.04), White (2.13) and African-American (1.83)
students.  While a difference between still remains between the
graduation rate of White students (89.83) and their African-American
(74.52) and Hispanic or Latino (82.02) peers, the graduation rate for
these sub-groups exceeds the state and county rates and the gap between
the two is far lower for BUSD.

"The long-standing disparity among student groups is our greatest
challenge," stated new superintendent, Dr. Donald Evans. "The new Common
Core State Standards are designed to be both rigorous and relevant for
students, and the Local Control Funding Formula will result in increased
revenue for our schools.  I believe that both of these reforms have the
potential to have a significant impact on equitable outcomes in student
achievement.  We want every student to experience success, and graduate
ready to enter college and/or the workplace."

The BUSD Board of Education, District leadership, individual school site
leadership teams and staff, will continue to work collaboratively to
conduct a thorough analysis of test results and other available data,
because as new Superintendent Evans opined, "Our work is far from
finished. We now have to focus targeted instruction and resources to the
specific areas where we know we can better serve our students."  A board
presentation on the most recent API, AYP, and graduation rate data is
scheduled for Wednesday, September 18, 2013.

For further information on the District and School API and AYP, please
go to: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ar/ .

--
Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer
Berkeley Unified School District