[BHS Etree] Principal's Welcome: 2013-2014

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Aug 28 07:00:15 PDT 2013

Please do not reply to this post; reply to  pasqualescuderi at berkeley.net

Inline image 2
*@BHSinfo*

Dear BHS Families:

Wednesday begins another year at one of the most dynamic, creative, and
diverse high schools in the country. With an innovative faculty and some
of the most creative and energetic young people you will find anywhere,
Berkeley High School has to me always been a sort of vibrant bazaar of
arts, ideas, and sciences. It is an energetic and youthful collective of
perspectives, experiences, and, best of all, possibilities and
potential. In fact, this last stop on the K-12 continuum, particularly
here at Berkeley High, can often be the /first/ place where the lifelong
passions, interests, causes, and purposes of our kids begin to emerge in
some detail. We look forward to sharing another year of growth with all
of our students and families.

This year, in the areas of curriculum and instruction, we continue to
build on the priorities established in our 2011-2012 self-study for the
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Most notably, we
continue to deepen our school-wide efforts to increase the proficiency
and performance of all students in academic language development with a
current emphasis on academic writing. We believe that these skills
generalize to all content areas, build skills and competencies that will
position students for success throughout high school as well as in
college, and effectively align our efforts with the depth and demands of
the new Common Core State Standards; standards that in fact include
literacy components for science, social studies, and a variety of
technical subjects.

Through increased training for teachers in the area of lesson design,
and with multiple opportunities for students to practice writing across
content areas, our work aims to both generate increased academic
language production and proficiency for students who are learning or
struggling with those skills, and to also help focus and bring increased
clarity and command to the skills of those students who already have a
strong foundation. A more detailed explanation of these efforts and
their rationale are included below for those who are interested.

While I am clearly in favor of developing and sustaining common and
coherent sets of curriculum, instructional fundamentals, and lesson
design elements, I am also cognizant that in order for curriculum and
instruction to really come alive and be engaging, the individual
creativity and tailoring of a teacher must be in the mix; however, I
believe that that creativity is most effective when applied to the
pursuit of some common and collective student outcomes. This helps
create a culture where collaboration is /focused/ and where teachers can
more readily build their capacities, and more importantly the capacities
of their students, by supporting each other through peer observation and
by learning and borrowing from the expertise of one another.

Optimal efforts for kids in the education setting require/both /the
clarity and coherence of universal student outcomes /and/ the creative
and tailored marks of individual teachers who make the paths to those
outcomes both colorful and enlightening for our kids. The proverbial
"sweet spot" of instruction combines both of these elements, dispenses
with the notion of "rigor" as being synonymous with simply being hard on
kids, and does not confuse creativity or creative teaching with a
complete absence of structure or thoughtful planning.

A school's success is obviously and ultimately measured by the success
of its students, /all/ of its students, and I look forward to the
continued work with our faculty and with our parent community on meeting
both the instructional and intellectual challenges that are the
gatekeepers of that success.

Welcome Back,

Pasquale Scuderi
Principal
Berkeley High School

*_Cell Phone Policy_*

As always, please review the cell phone policy with students.
Familiarity with and adherence to this simple community agreement makes
for fewer distractions and fewer staff/student conflicts over something
that students should actually see as a basic courtesy to others.

Cell phones should always be out of sight, stowed away, and preferably
turned off or silenced except for before school, during lunch, and after
school.

Cell phones then should not be visible or in use whenever class is in
session. It does not matter to us whether /you/ an individual student is
in class but whether classes for the whole school are in session.

Parents, please support us by limiting any texts and/or calls to
students to only absolutely urgent or genuine emergency matters during
class time. Our clear preference is that you call the office and allow
us to contact students on your behalf when classes are in session.

With over 3200 students, it only takes a tiny percentage of folks in
classrooms or hallways checking phones and otherwise violating this
agreement to create distractions from what students are supposed to be
focused on; namely, their coursework and getting to class on time.

*_Course Descriptions_*

For each class during the first week of class, students should receive a
Course Description/Syllabus.

The Course Description/Syllabus should include the following components:

1.           Description and objectives of the class including content
standards covered

2. Instructional materials used

3.           Units of Study

4.           Evaluation and grading system

5.           Course Goals

6.           Make-up work policy

*/NOTE: The following section of this letter is directly excerpted from
our opening internal staff bulletin around instruction. While I normally
would not include this level of technical detail in a mailing to
families, we decided to include it any way for those who might be
curious or interested in more specifics on what we are working on
instructionally. It contains some of our instructional expectations for
teachers, students, and administrators, and some of the ways we are
planning to build both capacity and accountability into those efforts.
If you are happy with the summary provided above you can simply skip the
next few items and scroll down to the Campus Safety section below. /*

*_Academic Language Continues: Constructed Response, Constructing
Meaning, The Common Core, and a School-Wide Focus for Professional
Development_*

Continued efforts to create positive and productive academic outcomes
for all of our students are taking a very actionable turn this year at BHS.

Teachers will be supported in building their capacity to plan and
structure lessons that integrate explicit language instruction into
their teaching. We plan to couple that increased capacity with
structured and consistent opportunities for students to write multiple
times during the year and believe that through the combination of these
efforts, we will begin to see increased growth for students on
everything from grades and in-house common assessments to higher passing
and proficiency rates across the board on CAHSEE, as well as increased
participation and success with endeavors like the SAT and ACT or the
composition of a compelling and competitive college essay.

This effort is also aligned to support the depth and demands of the new
Common Core State Standards that include explicit literacy standards not
just for language arts, but also science, social studies, and a variety
of technical subjects.

Teachers will be supported in this effort with ongoing training in
Constructing Meaning, a process for planning and lesson design that
emphasizes the critical role language plays in content area teaching and
supports the infusion of explicit language instruction into content
teaching. Over half of the BHS staff as well as the administrative team
have now been trained in CM and the remainder of the staff will be
trained during the October and November PD days.

Progress toward these goals will in part be measured by three pieces of
writing we will ask students to compose over the course of the year.
These Constructed Response exercises will, this year, be given in
English, History, and Science Classes and then anchored, assessed and
collaboratively scored by multi-disciplinary teams from all departments.
Throughout the year, there will be teacher training provided during PD
time in pre-reading, close reading, and persuasive essay writing.

In brief, academic language and literacy is now the responsibility of
every teacher and administrator at Berkeley High School.

This current focus reflects the logical evolution of our previous work
on academic language, and is driven in part by new content standards
and, more importantly, success with comparable models elsewhere.

Harvard University's Achievement Gap Initiative chronicled, among
others, the exemplary work of Brockton High School in Brockton, Mass, in
the report, /_How High Schools Become Exemplary_/.
<http://www.agi.harvard.edu/events/2009Conference/2009AGIConferenceReport6-30-2010web.pdf><http://www.agi.harvard.edu/events/2009Conference/2009AGIConferenceReport6-30-2010web.pdf> Lead
teacher Susannah Bell and I traveled to Brockton last winter and were
immediately impressed with the outcomes and work being done. Our visit
confirmed what the Harvard study reported : "The work at Brockton has
shown that when students improve at non-fiction writing, that skill
generalizes to every other subject: they get better at math and science
and it makes sense if you consider the thinking and self-organization
skills required."

_A PBS video chronicling the Brockton work can be found here.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONaQeAMFMc>_

On Monday, teachers will get an overview of the related Berkeley High
School PD plan for 2013-2014.

The work of Graff and Birkenstein in /They Say I Say/, a book provided
to all staff, provides further rationale for our instructional efforts
and deeper background on this type of work. They acknowledge the obvious
fact that critical thinking and writing go deeper than templates,
frames, and rhetorical formulas, but note that for struggling, emerging,
and developing writers, "deeper habits of thought cannot be put into
practice unless you have a language for expressing them in clear,
organized ways."

Anticipating the concerns that the strategies and tools found in their
book as well as Constructing Meaning relegate young writers to the
formulaic, Graff and Birkenstein contend that, "Even the most creative
forms of expression depend on established patterns and structures. Most
song-writers depend on a time honored verse/chorus/verse pattern and few
people would call Shakespeare uncreative because he didn't invent the
sonnet or the dramatic forms that he used to such dazzling effect. Even
the most avant-garde cutting edge artists (like improvisational jazz
musicians) need to master the basic forms that their work improvises on,
departs from, and goes beyond."

*_Linking Assessments to Instruction and Common Assessments_*

Continued focus and emphasis will be placed on linking assessment to
instruction.

Our continuing professional focus on assessment is, again, /not/ a focus
on testing, but actually a focus on student /learning /wherein we are
working to improve the tools and products we use to gauge or assess
whether students have learned what we want them to learn or not. A
concurrent, and very much equal concern, is becoming effective at how we
link the information those assessments yield to deliver more effective,
responsive, relevant, and creative instruction.

Elsewhere on the subject of assessments are the common assessments being
given in the following subjects this year at BHS:

·       English Grade 9

·       English Grade 10

·       IMP levels 2,3, and 4

·       Algebra 1 and Algebra 2

·       Geometry

·       Biology

·       Chemistry

·       10th Grade Social Studies

·       Spanish 1/2 and 3/4

·       French 1/2

·       SPED CLC

·       Physical Education

*_Learning Objectives and Agendas_*

In the fall semester, we expect all BHS teachers to include a visible
daily agenda that includes a content learning objective and the
activities for that period. The agenda should be clearly visible from
all vantage points in the room and remain posted the whole period.

Teachers who have been trained in Constructing Meaning, and understand
how to incorporate academic language objectives in their agendas, should
have lesson objectives that reflect that capacity as well. With all
teachers being trained in Constructing Meaning by the year's end, our
expectation is that most classrooms feature language objectives as well
by the spring.

Schmoker, Marzano, DuFour, and Bambrick-Santoyo, among other
researchers, have demonstrated that consistent use of agendas and
learning objectives school-wide is an effective way to increase the
learning of all students, in particular English Learners and students
with learning differences.

Attached to this e-mail is a very useful tool providing examples and
counterexamples of the caliber and quality of posted learning objectives
we are looking for in classrooms. The attachment is labeled /Learning
Objectives with Counterexamples./

*_Classroom Walkthroughs, Observations, and Teacher Evaluation_*

*Guiding Questions for Walkthroughs and Observations*

In an effort to be responsive to teacher suggestions and
recommendations, as well as our ongoing reflections on and revisions
/to/ our own practice, the administrative team will continue to work on
ways to make walkthroughs and observations effective tools for
supporting lesson design and classroom instruction that yields the best
outcomes for students.

One of the ways in which we will be calibrating our walkthroughs and
evaluations is to use a common set of broad instructional questions to
frame our observations and conversations with teachers around
instruction. Consistently leading with questions increases the
probability that the conversations between administrators and teachers
about instruction begin with genuine inquiry and work to encourage
productive and continuously improving dialogue around instructional
practice.

1. *What would a proficient student say, write, or do to show that they
got what you wanted them to learn during the lesson? *

2. *How did you, the teacher, model the skill, product, thinking process
or outcome you wanted for students? *

3. *How did you provide explicit language instruction or supports for
kids learning standard academic English?*

4. *What tools, templates, frames, or structures did you use to ensure
all students were able to contribute equitably to the learning?*

5. *What modeled, guided, or collaborative instruction led up to or
supported the independent task students were performing?*

6. *How did you assess or measure which students learned or understood
what you wanted them to learn during the lesson?*

*Walkthrough Tool*

We are currently developing an electronic walkthrough tool to collect
snapshot instructional strategy data throughout the school during
walkthroughs and observations. The data collected will not be used in
individual formal evaluations; it will rather allow us to gather large
samples of what instructional strategies and learning tools are being
used and implemented in classrooms throughout BHS.

The Google-based form will allow administrators to take note of things
like posted learning objectives, mode of instruction in use, number of
kids engaged in speaking and writing, where the observed lesson segment
falls on the Gradual Release of Responsibility arc of lesson design
(reviewing objectives, teacher modeling, guided practice, collaborative
lesson, or independent practice), and where the lesson segment falls on
Bloom's Taxonomy (Remembering, Applying, etc.) The components of Gradual
Release of Responsibility follow the phases of a lesson arc outlined by
Dutro and Levy's work on Constructing Meaning. The form will have no
more than 10 questions and again is for the purposes of collecting large
scale snapshots of the types of instruction and elements or tools of
practice we are seeing school-wide.

Our goal is also to add an email function to the tool so that forms
submitted by administrators after a walkthrough or observation are also
sent directly to the teacher being observed. This will also have a small
section for notes/comments in the hopes that we can be responsive to the
requests of several teachers who advocated for quicker turnaround times
for communication and comments following their classes being observed.
Additionally, the question and focus areas on the walkthrough form are
another way to convey the frame and questions by which administrators
will be guided in their observations and walkthroughs.

*Use of Video and Film in the Classroom*

While we have mentioned this before, the administrative team plans to
pay particular attention this year to how we use film or video in the
classroom. Our consensus is that while we have seen some improvement,
there are still too many instances on campus where the use of film or
video appeared to be a completely passive experience for students.

Too often we have not observed a clearly defined critical perspective
for the viewing, seen little teacher interaction with the film or video
(chunking or sectioning it like you would text during a class
discussion), or no tools like organizers and note-taking strategies in
use with a pre-articulated purpose for interacting with the viewing.
"When film or video is used in this way," says Rene Hobbes' of Temple
University, film or media use in the classroom may then simply
"replicate the ways that television, video, and other electronic media
are used in the home, as a passive form of recreation, amusement, or
escape that is increasingly a dominant, normative dimension of leisure"
rather than learning.

We are in no way saying that you should not use film or video, simply
that as a mode of instruction it should be used with the same planning,
chunking, and interactive components or supports you would afford a text.

*_Campus Safety Issues_*

/*Post office protest/camp at Allston and Milvia*/

An ongoing concern over the proposed federal sale of the post office
across the street from BHS has seen a protest formed and over the past
several weeks a camp has developed. Our current understanding is that
individuals, most likely unaffiliated with those folks who are lawfully
and peacefully protesting, have generated a number of criminal incidents
and subsequent calls to the police.

While it appears as of tonight that the number of individuals has
diminished somewhat, we do have some notable concerns given the nature
of the incidents reported to BPD and the encampment's proximity to our
school. On the eve of the first day of school I have spoken with our
partners at BPD and will be meeting with our Dean of Students and Safety
Staff tomorrow to ensure that we closely monitor the situation in the
interest of student and campus safety.

/*On the Subject of Rally Day*/

Many have characterized the indefinite cancellation of Rally Day as a
controversial decision of sorts. For myself, and the team of
administrators and teacher leaders who made the decision, characterizing
the decision as "controversial" is to us, confirmation of a perspective
uniformed of just how negative, divisive, inappropriate, and in many
respects dangerous last year's event became.

It's certainly not my preference to dot this opening letter with a
litany of graphic details regarding the event, but some are, I believe,
necessary, so that students, staff, and parents can discuss this
decision with some honest perspectives and simple facts.

An event that has historically been justified as a "unifying"
school-spirit experience has over the past several years looked far more
mean-spirited and divisive. Last year saw the usual groups of students
shouting at each other representing their classes (juniors v seniors,
sophomores v. juniors, all v. frosh) actually result in multiple
physical altercations and suspensions. Elsewhere groups of older kids
chanted and shouted insults and obscenities at groups of younger
students. I'll spare you some of the chants and their uncreative and
demeaning specifics.

Physical safety was another massive concern last year and the number of
students we sent home and/or suspended for intoxication on that day
reached double digits. Some groups of students were so brazen that we
confiscated open containers on campus. Groups of zealous kids created
massive and volatile congestion throughout the building and in hallways
often blocking doorways and creating unsafe situations without outlets
for those students who simply wanted to move on. Police were called by
neighbors and local businesses to deal with students who were walking on
cars, some occupied and some parked, while traffic backed up after
school at Milvia and Kittridge and the possibility that staff and police
officers might need to physically and forcefully remove kids from the
street nearly became a reality.

Administrators and security staff spent hours monitoring bathrooms (a
deployment of instructional leadership resources that is in my view
ridiculous) and yet, having to respond to constant radio calls in all
areas of the campus all day, custodial staff still had to deal with the
unpleasant biological aftermath of a number of students who made bad
decisions, drank too much, and got sick. Again, if this all sounds over
the top we agree, and I'm not simply being graphic just to be graphic,
but rather in an effort to be very honest and open about the facts so
that merits of this decision and the /actual /culture of this event can
be understood and evaluated in the context of school climate and student
safety.

To debunk rumors, the event is not being cancelled simply or exclusively
because significant members of last year's sophomore class disrupted
performances and caused huge delays by running on the field during the
rally. That incident was actually one of /many /individual and
collective behaviors that required staff to evaluate and ultimately
decide to cancel the event indefinitely.

During my time here we have seen helpful efforts and attempts by student
leadership to reframe the event. I personally went to several classes
the year I got here as principal to discuss concerns with students that
I had been hearing since I first came to BHS as a Vice Principal in
2006. Yet despite these types of efforts, and despite significant
expenditures on added security, administrative time, and on logistics
and planning, things have simply gotten worse and in our estimation have
become increasingly inappropriate for a school setting and unsafe in
general.

Each year we have attempted to increase positive messaging, and coupled
that with tighter enforcement and guidelines, and yet each year we have
been proven to have underestimated how deeply embedded the "party at
school all day" culture of the event is and so, by continuing to support
it, we would be offering our tacit and indirect approval of several
behaviors that we in fact do not feel are even remotely appropriate at
school.

It is not a decision we make lightly, and while it may be unpopular, it
is one that we are very, very happy to be making /before/ rather than
after even a single student gets hurt.

Pasquale Scuderi
Principal
Berkeley High School_____

Marguerite Fa-Kajiand Catherine Ference are the parent-volunteer
bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>. To post a message, send
to: bhs at lmi.net <mailto:bhs at lmi.net>; BHS etree archives:
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>