[BHS Etree] BUSD: Tentative Agreement Announced Between BUSD and BFT

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu May 30 21:49:32 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan  markcoplan at berkeley.net

Press Release: Tentative Agreement Announced Between BUSD and BFT
MEDIA CONTACTS:
Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer
Phone: 510-472-3811  Email: markcoplan at berkeley.net
Cathy Campbell, President, BFT
Phone: 549-2307   Email: bft4tchr at lmi.net
May 30, 2013
Tentative Agreement Announced Between BUSD and BFT
The Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) and the Berkeley Federation of Teachers (BFT) are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement for the 2012-2013 contract negotiations subject to ratification by the BFT and approval by the BUSD Board of Education.
All BFT bargaining unit wages, including salaries, stipends, daily rates and hourly rates shall be adjusted to reflect a 2.5% increase effective July 1, 2012.  Each unit member shall also receive an additional one-time payment equal to 2.5% of his/her 2012-2013 salary.  The district contribution to health and welfare benefits remains unchanged.  This is in addition to the 1% bonus negotiated for all employees in the fall of 2012.
School Psychologists and providers of Designated Instructional Services, with the exception of Speech and Language Pathologists, will be assigned on a district-wide basis.
In reaching this agreement, Co-Superintendent Javetta Cleveland said, "Our teachers are an integral part of our ability to move our vision forward to ensure that all students achieve at the highest level.  During the toughest economic times, we worked closely together to ensure that the District stayed solvent.  This agreement clearly demonstrates that we value our partnership.  We hope to successfully finalize negotiations with our other unions in the near future.”
“This agreement provides a small raise” said Cathy Campbell, BFT President, “while keeping our District within its means and putting the needs of students front and center.  The agreement provides some relief to the hard working employees who serve our students and families every day.”
“I am glad that we are in better economic times and are able to reach an agreement that shows our appreciation for the work that our teachers do every day to help our students succeed” said Karen Hemphill, Board President.
We look forward to continued positive working relations as we wrap up 2012-2013 and move into the 2013-2014 school year.
###

--
Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer
Berkeley Unified School District

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/