[BHS Etree] BUSD: BUSD A+ News: What's PBIS?, Jazz, STAR Testing, LEARNS Challenge, Board Vacancy, Supt. Search, Welcoming Schools

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 17 13:15:07 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan, markcoplan at berkeley.net

A+ News Print Edition
April 15, 2013

You can subscribe to this email newsletter in English and/or Spanish on the website for Berkeley Unified School District:
www.berkeley.net
BHS Jazz Ensemble Wins High School Combos Division at Monterey Jazz Festival

Congratulations to Berkeley High School Jazz Ensemble Combo 'A', for winning the High School Combos Division at the Monterey Jazz Festival.  Michael Orenstein, Sam Klein-Markman, Marcelo Bourque-Perez, Max Schwartz, Liam Collins, and Hugo Shiboski played their award-winning set on Saturday, April 6th, beating out combos from around the nation. As a result, they have been invited to perform in September at the Monterey Jazz Festival.

This is the second consecutive year that Berkeley High's top combo has won this prestigious competition. The BHS Jazz Ensemble is under the direction of music teacher Sarah Cline, a BHS alumna and the first female trombone player in the Ensemble.

You can see Berkeley's Got Talent!  Follow this link to watch several performances, including the BHS Jazz Ensemble and the BUSD Performing Arts Showcase.
Notice: No King Middle School students are selling newspapers!

Reports have been made about young students selling newspapers and magazines door to door in Berkeley.  No such practice has been sanctioned by our district or King Middle School.

NEW!
BUSD Calendar
2013-2014

Click on the document image to view in PDF.

2012-13 Calendar

  School Board Meeting Update - April 10

 Click on the image above to see the full calendar of district-wide meetings, events, and holidays on our website.

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR 2013-14:
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28
Give us your feedback on the A+ eNews

We want the A+ eNews to serve your needs for district-wide information.  Let us know what you think or want to know about! Send us an email at:
A-plus at berkeley.net

Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports
If you've been in one of our K-8 schools lately, you've probably noticed the signs with "the three B's", like the sign to the right from Malcolm X School.

These signs serve to reinforce the social skill teaching going on in school, and they are part of a broad system of supports to create a positive school climate where all students can excel.

Our teachers call this PBIS - or Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports.

This short clip showing what PBIS looks like in Berkeley is on our homepage.
Visit our PBIS for Families webpage to learn more.
STAR Testing Starts
The 2013 California Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program dates for Berkeley are:

Grades 9-11: April 22-29
Grades 2-8: May 6-13

Please check with your child's school/teacher for specific testing dates. Participation is an important part of gaining useful data about how students are doing.  Teachers will not receive a state-wide assessment of student progress for those who do not take the test.

Make-ups for students absent from school during the test will be April 30 - May 3 for high school students, and May 14-17 for elementary and middle school students.

Superintendent's Letter about the STAR program to Elementary & Middle School Parents
Students Meet the "Kids' Challenge"
Fifth grade students attending the after school programs in nine of our elementary schools formed school teams to participate in Berkeley LEARNS AfterSchool Program's first ever "Kids' Challenge". This LEARNS sponsored event was designed to support academic achievement and spark student enthusiasm for learning.

Before the Challenge, students spent time over a couple of weeks in their after school teams preparing to answer grade level questions in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, History & Geography, and Character Education. After a great display of knowledge by all teams at the afternoon competition, Emerson and Jefferson were named winners of the 2013 Berkeley LEARNS Kids' Challenge.
Board Vacancy: Next Steps
As previously announced, individuals interested in being considered for appointment by the Board must submit applications no later than April 15 at 4:00 p.m.

The Board is set to establish a list of finalists to fill the Board vacancy at the April 24th Board Meeting.  The finalists will present their candidacy to the Board at the May 1st meeting. The Board is set to make the appointment before May 15th.

The full process is outlined here on our website.
Welcoming Schools: Family Education, Thursday, April 25, 6-8pm

Join other Berkeley school families in creating welcoming schools for ALL families. During the workshop, there will be time for parents to reflect on stereotypes and biases, as well as a chance to practice how to answer your child's challenging questions.
Find the workshop flyer here.

Location: Rosa Parks Elementary, 920 Allston Way
Superintendent Search Update
The School Board has completed interviews with the finalist candidates for Superintendent. A thorough background and reference check is currently taking place.

A previous update was posted on our website from March 29th giving additional information on the pool of candidates.
Join Others Across the City of Berkeley and Get Disaster Prepared!
Have you seen this sign hanging around Berkeley?  It's a public notice about the Emergency Exercise Event happening on April 27th in participating homes, neighborhoods, and local businesses. Find out how you too can get prepared and participate on April 27th.  (This is not a district or school sponsored event.)

This is also a good time to take a moment to sign up for the City of Berkeley's public safety and emergency notification system.

 Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/