[BHS Etree] LEADERSHIP: 4th Annual Student Leadership Election Convention, April 17

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Apr 16 17:40:59 PDT 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact John Villavicencio johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

Tomorrow, Berkeley High School will begin its long standing tradition of electing the Student Leadership team of 2013-14 with our 4th annual Election Convention. The candidates will go through the nomination process with a body of delegates from many of our history courses who are each representing one of the great states of this nation. This fun and exciting practice of school engagement will have many students thinking about how they can improve our school culture and why their voice is important in many of the decisions made referring to our school. We will have nomination speeches, candidate statements, Q and A sessions, and periods of delegate voting. The delegate's vote does not decide the outcome of the election, but it can be taken back to the classrooms as a helpful guide. Results of the convention will be sent out to the staff on Thursday. Voting is on Friday during 2nd period (or at another time if necessary).

Staff ARE INVITED to bring your classes to watch the democratic process. PLEASE remember that the candidates may be nervous and anxious to make a great impression on the audience. We ask that you enter and exit quietly, refraining from conversation once in the theater. THANK YOU...

Below, you will find the list of candidates as well as the agenda for Wednesday's Election Convention.

2013 Candidates:
Tehan Ketema
Shannon Earl
Hannalina Kalonji
Sophie Andrews
Naomi Charles-Harris
Hammad Zahid
Austin Lloyd
Esther Robison-Abrams
Efejon Ustenci
Joseph Battles
Maya Smith
Nia Hampton
Sara Cerami
Eleana Binder
Camellia Sirak
Luna Lewis
Arna Kimiai
Meaghan McCrane
Max Levine
Sabria Ford
Shira Wolkenfeld
Juliette Mueller
Elizabeth Rondan
Chloe Yee
Clara Beery
Onaja Waki
Finn Collom
Kenji Sommers
Lucky Milo Whitburn-Thomas
Desiree McCann
Angus Green
Sophia Olaya Hermes
Kevin Flood Bryzman
Jesse Barber

Election Convention Agenda

8:15-9:00:                 Delegate registration

9:00:                         Call to Order and review of Convention Rules and Regulations

9:05:                         Opening Address: Special Guest Speaker TBA

9:10:                         Roll Call of Delegates

Officer Nomination and Election Process

9:20:                         Nomination speeches & Speech for Candidates to the Office of Chief of Service

9:30:                         Speeches from Candidates for the Office of Chief of Social Activities

9:40:                         Caucus period (break) for development of questions

9:45:                         Question and Answer period (if necessary)

9:55:                         Vote of the Delegates for Candidates to the Office of Chief of Social Activities

10:05:                       Caucus period while votes are counted

10:15:                       Winner of Office of Chief of Social Activities announced

10:20:                       Keynote address: Special Guest Speaker TBA

10:30:                       Process for Candidates to the Office of ASB Vice President

11:38:                       Break for Lunch

12:35:                       Process for the Candidates to the Office of ASB President

1:20:                         Process for Candidates to the Office of School Board Representative

2:30:                         Process for Candidates to the SSC, BSEP, and class executive offices introduced

3:20:                         Winner of delegate costume contest and other awards announced

3:25:                         Balloon drop and Closing statements of Chairpersons

3:30:                         Adjournment

--
ONE BIG SCHOOL, FULL OF GREAT LEADERS!!!
John Villavicencio
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/