[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, March 21 (Thurs.)
bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Mar 20 22:47:09 PDT 2013
PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared for the bulletin by the BHS front desk. No additional information or details are available from the etree.
STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
Thursday, March 21, 2013
*New to the bulletin today
1. Don’t forget to purchase this year’s yearbook! There are only 80 books left! Don’t get left out! Seniors can get their Freshman and Senior yearbooks for $100, or their Freshman, Sophomore and Senior yearbooks for $150 in C327 after school.
2. Juniors: ACT Full length practice test- $20 ACT Full length Practice test, Saturday, March 23, 9:00am -1:15pm Berkeley High School D221 College and career Center. Payment due Thursday, March 21. Seating is limited; sign up through the College and Career Center only.
3. All Seniors planning on attending community college will need to complete applications and register for an assessment test as soon as possible. College Advisors will be hosting workshops next week on Tuesday and Thursday after school. Students will be able to complete applications and sign up for assessment testing.
4. Attention Seniors! Prom tickets are now on sale for $75! If you have over 30 absences you cannot buy a ticket until you have cleared them. You can buy your tickets at the senior steps at lunch or afterschool.
* Express Tuxedo will be here on Wednesday, March 27th at lunchtime to take orders. (He will be in the courtyard) Order now and you can get a great deal on a tuxedo for less than $80.
*1. Berkeley High’s Got talent! Talent and Achievement Show, Thursday, March 28th in the Little Theater 7:00-9:00 pm. Come see Spoken word, Singing, Dancing, Musical performances, films and inspirational stories…Don’t miss this wonderful event.
*2. Come hear the Berkeley High Jazz Ensemble in concert, Thursday, March 28th. You’ve got 3 chances - concerts 4th, 5th and 6th periods in the Little Theater. We will feature music by Duke Ellington, Eddie Palmieri, Charles Mingus and Charlie parker. Hope to see you there in the Little theater. Teachers, if you haven’t yet reserved a space for your class please email, Jazz Director Sarah Cline.
Leadership will be hosting a kit making day in order to put together kits for YEAH! (Youth Homeless Shelter) This is a great way to help and get community service hours. Come to the leadership office on Thursday, March 28th to help out!
Stewards of the Sea Club is asking for new members! Stewards of the Sea Club participates in local coastal cleanups. The club meets at the Shorebird Nature Center in Berkeley on scheduled weekends and also works with members of the Berkeley Yacht Club to clean up the bay and maintain the beauty and cleanliness of our local coastal shores! This club is a great way to earn community service hours and a way to locally help the environment! If at all interested, please contact IB Junior Nora Jang (norajang at students.berkeley.net) for more details.
Make Art? The Teen Center is having an art show on March 21st. You can submit any and all kinds of art. Even if you aren’t an artist you can still come by. It will be shown from 7-9 pm. See you there!
1. Cheerleading tryouts! Pick up an application/packet this week at the front office. Tryouts begin March 25-28. All packets and applications must be completed and signed by Friday, March 22nd in order to participate in the Tryouts!
*2. Hello Coaches and Athletics Enthusiasts,
Please get the word out about our Berkeley High School Annual Golf Tournament that makes it possible for us to have FRESHMAN SPORTS. Without this tournament we would NOT have stipends to pay freshman coaches. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Get involved by sponsoring a hole, letting other businesses know about the sponsorship opportunity, playing in the tournament, making a donation to the event, or purchasing raffle tickets.
Help keep freshman sports alive at Berkeley High!!! In the past we almost lost ALL freshman athletics. Thanks to Manish Doshi for organizing this wonderful golf tournament to raise funds. Please do your part and help at any level you are able to contribute.
3. Berkeley Girls Basketball Advances to CIF State Title Game, Friday, March 22, 6:00 pm
The Jackets will be ready for the Jackrabbits this time around as Rachel Howard (SR) has the hot hand, putting up 23 points and 9 boards while nailing two threes from NBA distance against Oak Ridge. Desire Finnie (JR), Jaimonie Welch-Coleman (SOPH), Garianna Youngblood (SR), Breona Eskridge (SR) and the rest of the team are clicking at the right time and are looking to bring the state title back to Berkeley.
Tickets for the game will be sold at the ticket booth next to the Donahue Gym on:
• Wednesday at lunch for the students and after school to the public at 3:30 - 4:30 pm
• Thursday at lunch for students and after school to the public at 3:30 - 4:30 pm
Tickets are also available through TicketMaster or at the Sleep Train Arena Box Office. Ticket prices start at $16 for adults and $10 for seniors (65+), children (5+) and students with a valid ASB card.
Television Schedule March 23-24 All 12 Championship Games - Live in HD televised on Time Warner Cable and streamed online TV: All State Basketball Championship games will be broadcast live on either Time Warner Cable SportsNet or Time Warner Cable HD channel 700.
Online: Games on Time Warner Cable SportsNet can be streamed live online for authenticated viewers on www.twcsportsnet.com and via the network’s mobile app (“TWC SportsNet”). Additionally, all State Basketball Championship games will be streamed live. Click here for link.
Audio Coverage PlayOn! Sports will provide live internet audio coverage of all 12 State Championship games. Click here for link.
The City of Berkeley's YouthWorks Employment Program in the Department of Housing & Community Services is pleased to announce that the official application period for the 2013 Summer Youth Employment Program begins March 1st and continues until April 5th, 2013.
Qualified Youth (14-25 years old & Berkeley residents) are eligible to apply for jobs in a variety of sectors, including childcare, recreation & clerical positions within city departments and various community organizations. The pay is $8.00/hr, and Youth may work up to 30 hrs/week for up to 8 weeks. The tentative employment start date is mid/late June.
To apply: Youth need to come in person to the YouthWorks office at 2180 Milvia St. (City Hall), starting March 1st, to sign in and pick up an application packet. The completed application must be turned in, in person, with required original documents including Photo ID, Social Security Card, Proof of Residence, a typed or word-processed resume, and Parental Authorization for youth under the age of 18. The deadline for returning the application & required documents is Friday April 5th, 2012.
Please note the offices will be closed on Fridays, March 8th and March 22nd as a part of the city's continuing cost-cutting measures.
For youth requiring assistance with resumes, YouthWorks will be offering resume workshops on Wednesdays, March 13, 20, 27 from 4:00-5:30pm at the Berkeley Public Library, Central Branch (2090 Kittredge St) in the 3rd floor electronic classroom. Preregistration is required; please contact YouthWorks to register and to pick up a resume worksheet. Participants in the workshop will complete a professional resume ready for submission to the program. To register for resume workshops, or for further information regarding the Summer Youth Employment Program, please contact YouthWorks at (510) 981-4970 or email youthworks at cityofberkeley.info.
*New to the bulletin today
Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the subject line: 'subscribe'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the BHS