[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Would your student enjoy a course in nonviolence leadership?

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Mar 3 16:23:14 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Chris Young,
<mailto:chrisyoung at berkeley.net> chrisyoung at berkeley.net or Rachel
Chodorow-Reich,  <mailto:+rcr at berkeley.net> rcr at berkeley.net.

Dear BHS Parents and Community Members,

Rachel Chodorow-Reich and I started designing a new course last year called
"Nonviolence: Theory and Practice".  We hope to run a section or two of it
for the 2013-2014 academic year.  It is an elective social science course.

If you know a student who might want to make the most of such a course,
please send us her or his name.  We will send an introductory letter to the
student you suggest inviting her or him to a lunch meeting to learn more.

We are very excited about the potential impact of this course, and would
like to personally recruit a strong and diverse cohort.  While we would like
students to have some high school history and writing courses under their
belts, we gladly welcome any students you think are ready to benefit from
critical thinking, discussion about and practicing ahimsa (nonviolence) and
satyagraha (soul force) in their lives.

We will challenge students to understand more deeply the history of
nonviolence and the different types of violence and peace we see in our
daily lives and in global issues.  They will have the opportunity to connect
with and partner with local nonviolence leaders and organizations carrying
out social or environmental activism.  Students will carry out nonviolent
action projects of their own design, taking on a personal, community, or
global issue important to them.

To learn more about the course, visit its webpage at:
<https://sites.google.com/a/berkeley.net/nonviolence/>
https://sites.google.com/a/berkeley.net/nonviolence/.  If you have ideas,
resources, or other contributions to make towards the development of our new
course we are also happy to receive those!

Thank you for your interest and support,

Chris and Rachel

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'