[BHS Etree] ADMIN: New Course Offering - Introduction to Renewable and Sustainable Energy

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Feb 20 19:51:01 PST 2013

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Glenn Wolkenfeld:
glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net

Please see this important information about a new course available to BHS
juniors and seniors. Course selections begin next week.

Introduction to Renewable and Sustainable Energy: A New Course Offering for
BHS Juniors and Seniors

Intro to Energy is a laboratory-focused course that teaches about where our
energy comes from, how we use it, and how its use impacts our environment
and our health. Students learn about electricity by building circuits,
speakers, microphones, motors, and generators. They learn about solar energy
by experimenting with solar cells, and about wind power by building
miniature wind-turbines. Students research issues like climate change,
natural gas extraction, and offshore oil drilling. They debate issues like
whether nuclear power is good for the environment -- or something that we
ought to avoid. The course won't tell students what to think-only how to
think about these important topics.

The energy sector is one of the hottest sectors of our economy. If you want
your son or daughter to have a chance to explore this field, please
encourage him or her to take this course.

If you want more information about this year-long, science elective, please
email Mr. Wolkenfeld: glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net.  Or encourage your son
or daughter to come by G212 to talk to Mr. Wolkenfeld directly.

--

Glenn Wolkenfeld

Science Teacher

Berkeley High School

1980 Allston Way

Berkeley, CA   94704

glennwolkenfeld at berkeley.net

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'