[BHS Etree] BUSD: Co-Superintendents Thoughts on the tragedy in Connecticut

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Dec 16 20:38:46 PST 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan, markcoplan at berkeley.net

Winter Break:
No School for Students
Dec. 24 - Jan. 4
 Click on the image above to see the full calendar of district-wide meetings, events, and holidays on our website.
Thoughts on the tragedy in Connecticut

Berkeley School Families,

No doubt you have heard by now about the tragic shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. While tragedies at schools are very rare, when they do happen, our concern for the victims may bring up worries about our own children and their day-to-day safety.

We want you to know that all Berkeley Unified schools have safety plans, and we run through drills frequently to practice responses for a variety of events, including fire, earthquake and lockdown situations.

We have a direct relationship with the City of Berkeley Health Department, which has provided the support of their Mental Health Crisis Team to Berkeley Unified when we needed it in the past. We communicated with them Friday, and requested that they have counselors available in the event any of the schools require additional support when we return on Monday.

The terrible events in Connecticut remind us of the need to address violence everywhere, across our nation, and in our own communities. Meanwhile, we are holding the families affected by this tragedy in our hearts and renewing our sense of shared responsibility and care for each other.

Neil Smith and Javetta Cleveland
Co-Superintendents
Berkeley Unified School District
Forward this email to other Berkeley School community people you know

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to: bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/