[BHS Etree] BUSD: Berkeley High's World AIDS Day Assembly Displays National AIDS Quilt Panels

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Dec 7 07:48:39 PST 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan
markcoplan at berkeley.net

Inline image 1

Berkeley High's World AIDS Day Assembly Displays National AIDS Quilt Panels

Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 - Berkeley High's World Aids Day Assembly on December
6th was sponsored by the BHS Health Center and Berkeley High School
Development Group, and organized by Berkeley High teacher Allan Miller, who
also hosted the two assemblies. A long tradition, the event is set with a
backdrop of panels from the National AIDS Quilt. Every year the quilt is
sent around the country in panels as part of the week of celebration around
World AIDS Day.

In his opening remarks Mr. Miller told the audience, "AIDS/HIV is not just
an East Bay problem, not just a California problem, not just a US problem,
but a world problem.  The disease has many faces, and is no respecter of
persons.  Thirty million people worldwide have lost their lives.  Another
thirty-four million today live with either HIV or AIDS.  The disease has
created 20 million orphans.  Think about that.  Twenty million children
worldwide have lost both parents to AIDS."

The program began with scenes from this year's (February 2013) production of
Vagina Monologues, introduced by the directors. Next was a performance by
Rhodessa Jones that you can only imagine through the photos (WOW), followed
by Piper's Story; Piper is a BHS alumni who became HIV Positive in 1998, at
16, as a result of rape. I knew her story would be moving, because as I
entered the second assembly, a parent volunteer usher leaving after working
the first assembly stopped me and told me that I had to hear Piper speak
because she was amazing. After hearing her I have to agree. And what's
really important is that she captured every student in the room. She also
told us how important Berkeley High has been in her life, and that she is a
very proud alumni. Thanks to the presenters who allowed me to photograph the
assembly.

See photos of Berkeley High's World AIDS Day Assembly on Flickr.com:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157632190591550/

Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer

Berkeley Unified School District

510-644-6320