[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Nov. 2 (Fri.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Nov 1 22:26:13 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared
for the bulletin by the BHS front desk. No additional information or details
are available from the etree.

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN

Friday, November 2, 2012

*New to the bulletin today

ADMINISTRATION

Berkeley High, this is the dean of attendance, with a reminder that anybody
who misses 30 periods of class without an excuse will get blocked from
school dances and from work permits.  Every three tardies will count as one
unexcused absence. And yes, they will accumulate all year.  If you attend
Saturday school from 9am to 1 pm., you can excuse six of your most recent
period absences. In Saturday school, tutors will help you with work you
missed the days you were absent. Free breakfast, too. If you want to sign up
for Saturday school-speak to me or anybody in the attendance office.  Space
is limited to the first 30 students who sign up.  Our first Saturday school
date is coming up November 10th. After that we'll have Saturday school every
other week.

SPORTS

*1. Girls Basketball Tryouts, 11/5/12 - 11/7/12
     Monday: 4:00-  6:00 pm @ UC Berkeley Haas Pavilion
     Tuesday & Wednesday: 7:00 - 9:00 pm @ Donahue Gym

*2. Boys Basketball Tryouts, 11/5/12 - 11/7/12
     Monday: 6:00 - 8:00 pm @ Donahue Gym
     Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:00 - 8:00 AM @ Donahue Gym

3. Girls Soccer Tryouts, 11/5/12 - 11/9/12

     Mon: Memorial Stadium 7-9pm

     Tues: BHS Turf 4-6pm

     Wed: Memorial Stadium 7-9pm

     Thurs: BHS Turf 4-6pm

     Friday: BHS Turf 9am-3pm

*4. Boys Soccer Tryouts, 11/5/12 - 11/9/12 and 11/12/12

     Varsity & Junior Varsity Boys

     Mon: BHS Turf 4-6pm

     Tues: Memorial Stadium 7-9pm

     Wed: BHS Turf 4-6pm

     Thurs: Memorial Stadium 7-9pm

     Friday: Gilman 9 am - 3 pm

     Mon (11/12): Gilman 9am-3pm

     Freshmen

     Mon (11/5): BHS Turf 4-6 pm

     Tues - Thurs (11/6 - 11/9): Gilman, Times TBA

5. Women's Lacrosse fall ball stick work is held Tuesdays and Thursdays at
the track 3:45-5:15. And Conditioning is on Wednesdays also at the BHS
track, 3:45-5.

6. If you are interested in playing Men's Lacrosse, come join the
conditioning and stick skill sessions currently underway at Berkeley High
School.  Conditioning -- Mondays and Wednesdays at 4:15-6:00 pm and Fridays
at 5:15-6:00 pm. Stick Skills -- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 4-5 pm.  Both are
held at the Berkeley High Field. Everyone is welcome.

5. Yellow Jackets' Games This Week

Football

11/2/12

JV v. Castro Valley 4:30

V v. Castro Valley 7:00

Cross Country

11/3/12

WACC Finals @ Hayward High School

Women's Tennis

11/1/12 v. Castro Valley @ King Middle School

5. If you are interested in playing Men's Lacrosse, come join the
conditioning and stick skill sessions currently underway at Berkeley High
School.  Conditioning -

Mondays and Wednesdays at 4:15-6:00 pm and Fridays at 5:15-6:00 pm. Stick
Skills -- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 4-5 pm.  Both are held at the Berkeley
High Field. Everyone is welcome.

SENIORS

1. Senior polls are here!  Seniors can pick up polls at the senior steps
during lunch and after school.  Next week seniors can pick up polls after
school at C327.  We will check off names so don't try to send in more than
one!  They are due by Friday, November 16th.

2. Hey Seniors!  Still need to turn in Baby Photos?  We will accept them
until November 2nd which is this Friday.  Come to room C327 so we can scan
them into the computer.  If you already have given your photo to a yearbook
member, come and collect it in C327.

3. Hey seniors! Pick up a memory of your last year at Berkeley High. Only $3
for a senior spell out photo now on sale in the leadership office. All funds
go to the senior prom.

COLLEGE VISITS

Monday, Nov. 5:
11:40 am  Whitman College (WA)

Tuesday, Nov. 6:
8:27 am  Eckerd College (FL)
9:31 am  University of San Francisco (CA)

Wednesday, Nov. 7:
1:28pm  Drew University (NJ)
2:32 pm  Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NY)

Thursday, Nov. 8:
10:40 am  Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM - CA)

CLUBS

1. Vagina! OK now that I have your attention!  Vagina Monologues auditions
will be held next Monday and Tuesday in C135.  Don't miss your chance to be
a part of this powerful production.  Sign-ups/ more info are on the A-bldg
drama board.  See you there!

2. Join the Dance Technique Club! This club is for people who are interested
in improving, practicing or learning classic ballet technique. We will begin
meetings November 1st and each following Tuesday after school in the
Afro-Haitian studio at 3:40 pm until 4:10 pm.   If anyone is interested in
contacting me I can be reached on my email,  <mailto:ilanashare at yahoo.com>
ilanashare at yahoo.com, or my cell phone, (510)-809-5726.

3. Do you like acting, directing, dancing, singing, drawing, photographing
or anything arts related?  As arts-funding continues to disappear, the time
is now to stand up and protect our arts!  Come to the claim conference at
the Berkeley Rep School of Theatre, November 4, from 12 noon to 4pm for an
afternoon full of advocating, and protecting arts programming!  RSVP to
<mailto:teencouncil at berkeleyrep.org> teencouncil at berkeleyrep.org today!

4. Are you stressed out? Feeling tired? Or do you simply want to learn a
healthy way to calm the mind?  Then come to meditation workshops at the YMCA
Teen Center!  Meditation is a powerful, scientifically proven way to improve
concentration and relieve stress.  Every Thursday at lunch is a 20 minute
meditation, by teens for teens.  All levels of experience are welcome.
Please come to C308 for details.

5. Do you like money? Do you have money but don't know how to spend it or
save it wisely? Do you not have money, but would like to learn how to earn
some through entrepreneurship and investment? Then join Money Management
Club! We meet on Fridays at lunch in Room C-309!

6. Did you know that tobacco is the leading cause of preventable and
premature death in the US?  Come out to the senior steps at lunch on
Thursday, November 15th.  Learn about tobacco and marijuana, win prizes, and
have fun.  Wear a red shirt in support of BHS students kicking ash!

*New to the bulletin today

subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'