[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: Writer Coaching

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Sep 7 14:26:42 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sahib-Amar Khalsa,
sakk at mindspring.com

Looking for an opportunity to volunteer at BHS? WriterCoach Connection (WCC)
is a rewarding experience working one-on-one with students, during class, on
their writing assignments. Trained writer coaches help students strengthen
their writing and thinking skills by giving them constructive feedback,
challenging them to think more deeply, and building their confidence as
writers. Every student in the class receives coaching.

The time commitment is only 1-2 hours, usually twice per month, during
regular class time. This year we're coaching 9th and 10th graders in AMPS,
9th graders in CAS, and 10th, 11th and 12th graders in Green Academy! There
are plenty of slots to choose from, Tuesday through Friday. (See
www.writercoachconnection.org/coaching-schedule.html for Berkeley HS
schedule.)

Coaching is fun and rewarding - "the highlight of my week," says one coach.

You don't need to be a writer or teacher. WCC coaches are parents, college
students, working and retired people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, and
ages. Our in-depth training will give you strategies and practice to work
effectively with students, including your own. If you can't coach, tell a
friend or neighbor who might be interested.

Training sessions are beginning in September. For the complete schedule or
more information, go to www.writercoachconnection.org (click on
"Volunteer"). Or contact site coordinators Sahib-Amar Khalsa
(sakk at mindspring.com) or Jeanne Schuman (schumanj4 at gmail.com).

Sahib-Amar Khalsa

BHS Site Coordinator - WriterCoach Connection

510-237-6963

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji, and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net. To post a message, send to:
<mailto:bhs at lmi.net> bhs at lmi.net; BHS etree archives:
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/> http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'unsubscribe'; To subscribe to the etree, send an email to
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> bhs-request at lmi.net with one word only in the
subject line: 'subscribe'