[BHS Etree] BUSD: BHS Busy Weekend Photos on Flickr

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Jun 4 18:25:37 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mark Coplan
markcoplan at berkeley.net

I understand that the BHS Chicano - Latino Graduation on Saturday was
spectacular. Unfortunately I had to miss it because I was at another event,
but I did get to Berkeley High in time to observe a fantastic graduation
banquet. The parents and families looked proud, the students exuberant, and
the staff just looked out at the results of their hard work. Another
successful year for these students.

BHS Chicano - Latino Graduation Dinner 2012

Photos on Flickr.com:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157630028783068/

BHS African American Studies Graduation on Sunday evening will be posted in
the next 24 hours.

BHS AHA and the Streets Alive 60 Box Project Photos on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157630039020478/

BHS Dance Production 2012 "Tick Tock"

BHS Dance Production 2012 "Tick Tock" Photos on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157630047430732/

BHS Dance Production 2012 "Tick Tock" Part Two Photos on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157630048022564/

(Video of Dance Production & Afro-Haitian Dance will be out by graduation.)

Doritos Lonely Island Moms Present $250,000 BUSD Check

Presentation of $250,000 check at Dance Production by The Lonely Island Moms
on YouTube: http://youtu.be/HY1TxeVdXWs

On Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/43327724

See Photos on Flickr.com:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901376@N04/sets/72157630008227576/

Doritos Lonely Island $250,000 BUSD Donation Celebration at Berkeley High

The Berkeley Unified School District welcomed Doritos executives Dan Luciano
and Matt Follis for the presentation of a $250,000 check being donated to
the BUSD by Doritos on behalf of Berkeley High School alumni Andy Samberg,
Akiva "Kiv" Schaffer and Jorma Taccone, collectively known as The Lonely
Island, and well known for their work on Saturday Night Live. Two of The
Lonely Island mothers, Suellen Ehnebuske (Jorma's mom) and Margie Samberg
(Andy's mom), as well as Akiva's brother Micah and his godmother, Susan
Stone were on hand to represent the guys.

Superintendent Bill Huyett opened the event, and received the "big check"
from Doritos on behalf of the District, thanking Doritos for their
generosity. He also thanked Andy, Akiva and Jorma for giving back to the
theaters at Berkeley High, and Willard Middle School where they first met,
and are reported to have begun developing their craft.

The event took place on Friday, June 1st, 2012 at the entrance to Berkeley
High School, on the corner of Milvia Street and Allston Way. The
presentation was combined with a ceremony where Berkeley High students
displayed art work, as a part of  the "Streets Alive" project to decorate
utility boxes in the down town area. The student art, titled "Looking Back
to See Our Way Forward" features 12 portraits of notable BHS alumni from
Thornton Wilder, Bobby Seal and Billy Martin to Phil Lesh and The Lonely
Island.

The presentation of the check was repeated at 7 p.m. in Berkeley High's
Little Theater, before a packed house at the BHS Choreographers "Tick Tock"
Dance Production. For this event Margie Samberg and Suellen Ehnebuske
presented the check on behalf of Doritos and The Lonely Island, and BHS Arts
and Humanities Academy (AHA) teachers Linda Carr and Miriam Stahl, received
it on behalf of Board President John Selawsky who was unavoidably detained.

BUSD Public Information Officer Mark Coplan had the pleasure of introducing
the mothers, pointing out to some John Muir Elementary School alumni in the
crowd, now BHS students that they might remember Mrs. Samberg, who is
retiring later this month after serving students at John Muir for most of
her adult life, in the Deaf & Hard of Hearing program.

Note: Andy was wearing a John Muir T-shirt for the curtain call at the end
of Saturday Night Live in May, obviously very proud of his mother, and
recognizing her retirement. Could this story get any better? The sad news
just out is that Andy just announced that he is leaving SNL! The good news
is that this means we'll be seeing more of their own work (though I hope the
guys continue writing for the show because they do make the show great).

--

Mark Coplan, Public Information Officer

Berkeley Unified School District

510-644-6320

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To