[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, May 25 (Fri.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu May 24 16:19:08 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared
for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. No additional
information or details are available from the etree.

BHS STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN

Friday, May 25, 2012

*New or updated information

ADMIN

*1. Spring PE waivers: Completed waivers are due to the Attendance office by
June 1st.  Students should have their coach sign the yellow copy of the form
that was handed back to them when they submitted their waiver.

*2. Students, please start returning any textbooks that you are no longer
using to the textbook room.  This will help the collection process at the
end of the year and relieve you of all of those books!  The textbook room is
open 15 min. before school, 15 min. after school and lunchtime Monday -
Thursday.

3. Essay Contest:  Is African American Studies still relevant for today's
student?  Submit a essay/poem no less than 600 and no more than 1200 words.
All pages must be double-spaced.  Essays or poems must be submitted by
11:59pm on Friday, May 29, 2012. The prize is a Brand new IPAD!  Winner must
be present at Treyvon Martin panel discussion on May 31st 6:30-8:30pm.
Contest open to Berkeley High and B-Tech students.  Submit all submissions
to vernonwalton at berkeley.net or drop it off at the Berkeley High School's
front desk.

4. Summer school applications can be picked up in the counseling office.
You must be a current senior or junior.   You must check in with your
counselor before you submit your application-no exceptions.  Applications
turned in by June 1st will get a confirmation during the last week of
school.

5. Attention all BHS students!  Let us help you Beast your way through the
last month!  The College and Career Center is open Monday - Thursday from
3:35 - 6:00 for drop in tutorial assistance.  We have many highly skilled
tutors available in almost every academic subject.

SENIORS

*1. Seniors-Urgent Attention!  Diplomas will be mailed during the week of
July 13, 2012.  You will need to provide your SUMMER MAILING ADDRESS if
different from the one currently on file at Berkeley high School.  You will
need to provide the updated address to the Registrar's office at lunch time
and after school (ONLY) until 3:45 pm, Monday through Friday from now until
June 15, 2012.  If you do not receive your diploma by the end of July 2012,
you will need to check with the registrar's office (room D173) when school
resumes.

2. Seniors please pick up your senior exit report from the College Career
Center before school, during lunch or after school.  You must return this
form to be eligible to recive your graduation tickets.

3. You are Invited to the Second Annual Academic Choice Commencement,
Saturday, June 9, 2012, BHS Community Theatre, 3-6 p.m.  Dressy Casual, Free
Sashes and Pins will be handed out to all participating students. Please
invite your relatives and friends.

CLUBS

*1. Did you know that as a young person you are exposed to an average of
400-600 ads per day?  That's approximately 11.7 hours of Advertising a day.
Most of these ads subconsciously change our way of looking at our bodies and
making young girls and boys feel like they're not suitable.  Help change
that.  Be part of planning a day that could become a national awareness
holiday.  We want people to know that we are all beautiful.  Come help in
C309 at lunch on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (May 29, 30th and June 1st)
to find out more details.

LEADERSHIP

*1. Artist wanted for Berkeley High's Mural Design contest!!  Berkeley high
leadership invites students to create the design for a mural that will be
installed on campus next year.  The application process is easy, simply fill
out the submission form and follow the criteria below.  Designs and
submission forms are due on Tuesday, June 5th in the leadership office.

EVENTS

*1. Thursday, May 31st is World No Tobacco Day!  Come play fun interactive
games on the senior steps at lunch.  Win gift cards and other cool prizes
while you learn about tobacco dangers.  If you are interested in quitting
smoking, Staff will be available to talk and provide support. In honor of
this day, we ask that all students and staff please wear a white shirt.

*2. Students, teachers, and staff: Join us for this year's Health and
Wellness fair!  There will be fun, interactive learning games and prizes.
Talk to staff from local organizations and learn about valuable resources to
support your health.  Come to the Football field on Friday, June 1st from
8:30 am -3:30 pm.  We hope to see you there.

VOLUNTEERING

1. Thousand Oaks Elementary is holding our annual school carnival on
Saturday, June 2 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. We'd love to have student
volunteers to run our games and activities. The event will be held on the
playground at Thousand Oaks. If you haven't completed your community service
hours and would like to help us out, or if you'd like more information,
please call or text Laura-Kate Rurka at 415.203.3019 or email at
toptacommunity at gmail.com.

2. Rosa Parks Elementary is holding our annual school carnival on Sunday,
June 3, 12:00 - 4:00 pm. We'd love to have student volunteers to run our
games and activities.  If you haven't completed your community service hours
and would like to help us out, or if you'd like more information, please
call or text Lauren Brandt at 707-280-2157 or email at sixosix at gmail.com

JOBS

JUNIORS - Job Opening for Senior Portrait Representatives. Do you want to be
a photographic model and earn up to $1000 in portraits and services?  Shoey
Sindel Photography is looking for energetic Juniors as representatives for
high-end photo studio. Interviews and fashion shoots begin this week. Call
510-917-0659 or email photos at shoeysindel.com to schedule an interview.

MISC

LOST: Class ring missing.$25 reward no questions.Women's size 7. Please
return to the admin office at the front desk.

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To