[BHS Etree] SPORTS: Voice of Sports Parents Construction News #7

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 21 06:58:31 PDT 2012

Do not reply to this email, contact Richard Boyden, rboyden87 at gmail.com

BHS Sports Construction News #7
"The Only Unofficial Voice of Sports Parents"    May 21, 2012

For the full version with photos, go to
http://tinyurl.com/bhs-construction-news7

Headlines
New Stadium Previewed
Derby Field Groundbreaking June 9
Laundry Room Back in Construction Plans
Old Gym is Going, Going...

Text only version:  for PDF edition with photos, color and layout, go to

http://tinyurl.com/bhs-construction-news7

We're Almost There!  New Stadium Previewed
Tour shows awesome facility, a bit cramped in places
The new Stadium facility is looking good, with early move-in for some
offices beginning as early as this week.  It is a beautiful facility, but a
year behind schedule  --  we  are very happy this journey is finally coming
to an end.

Photos of upstairs breezeway (notice the wood top panelling), visitors'
locker room, and Trainers' Room.   Not shown is the impressive view from the
top of  the very high  stands, and (alas!) the very small snack shack
("Concesssion Room") which is by far the smallest we've seen at any upgraded
high school field.

The photos were taken by Roy Meisner on Monday the 14th, during a tour,
including Football Head Coach Fred Sims, Assistant Coaches Brent Jones,
Ramon Garcia and  Meisner, Trainer Jamie Faison, VP Kristen Glenchur, and AD
Bill Gaebler.   Also in attendance were parents Tony Rossman and Richard
Boyden.

Derby-Moellering Field Groundbreaking Ceremony is June 9
Saturday June 9, at 11:00, the community will break ground for new athletic
field at Martin Luther King, Jr. Way and Derby St.  This long-awaited
project, 15 years in the making, is slated for completion in March 2013.
Bring your student athletes (in uniform if possible), family and friends to
this milestone event.  (There are unconfirmed rumors of free refreshments!)
GO JACKETS!

[Photo of Karen Hemphill with caption "Karen Hemphill made it happen"]

Laundry Room is Restored to Construction Plans.  "Wrestling Mom" gets the
job done
In last month's issue we reported that plans for a team laundry facility,
made in 2008, were later secretly cut by the previous BHS administration.
We issued a "Call to Action" for parents to go to the School Board to
address this.  By the time we got there, BUSD Facilities had been directed
to put the laundry space and equipment back in the plans, or, more exactly,
to make the necessary design changes.

We owe this speedy action to School Board Member Karen Hemphill, whose son
is on the BHS Wrestling Team.  Karen worked behind the scenes to get
everyone on board.  Since then, your committee has worked with Facility
Director Lew Jones and the architects to locate space in the new Stadium
Building and heavy duty washers and dryers that should serve our programs
for years to come.  Thank you Karen, you are great!

While we're on the topic of the School Board, we should also mention members
Josh Daniels and Leah Wilson, both of whom have been helping us since last
year.  Leah's son is on the Water Polo Team and Josh played Baseball at
Berkeley High in the 1990s.

[photo of top of Old Gym, with very sad and shabby cupola with clock
missing]
Going, going.

The Old Gymnasium Building, closed without notice in the middle of football
season last year, will be demolished this summer.  Built in 1922, the Old
Gym has been a topic of controversy for years, as preservationists and warm
pool advocates fought to save the building.  U.S. District Judge Susan
Illston cleared the way for demolition when she ruled against plaintiffs in
a warm pool ADA lawsuit on December 19.  By the way, has anyone seen the old
clock?

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To