[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, April 17 (Tues.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 16 18:20:17 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email. All information is collected and prepared for the bulletin by Belinda McDaniel at the BHS front desk. No additional information or details are available from the etree.

BHS STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
Tuesday, April 17, 2012

*New or updated information

ADMINISTRATION

*1. Oh yes the attendance horse race continues and it's neck and neck down the stretch amongst freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.  It's really anyone's race and yes - the class that wins will get a theater rented out to themselves for a private movie showing this summer or at the start of next year!  The numbers as of April 16 are:
grade 9 -  93.94%           grade 10  -   93.84%       grade 11  - 93.53%       grade 12 -  91.54%

2. Attention: All students who have elevator keys, please return them to Ruby Taylor in the admin office, if you no longer need them.

3. All students who want to be in any of the plays next year (Fall play, Vagina Monologues, Spring Musical) must sign up now for 7th period production class.  Please see Mr. Winer with any questions.

*4. Hey did you miss the talent show auditions?  Don’t worry you have a second chance to audition on Tuesday, April 17th.  In the Community theatre back stage!  Anyone and Everyone is welcome!  We need all talents.

5. Celebrate National Library Week!  Come to the library to check out one of our new books, choose from our collection of urban drama, graphic novels, award winning fiction or absorbing nonfiction.  Pay special attention to our “Still Hungry” display of titles for Hunger Games fans. Be sure to pick your favorite from our choice of special gifts from our beloved and helpful teacher librarians!

6. ATTENTION all Social Studies Teachers!!  Delegates are needed from each period you teach a core social studies to 9th, 10th, or 11th graders.  Check your email for details from Chris Young.  Don't deprive your students of this AMAZING experience!  Send delegate names to Chris Young by THIS FRIDAY ideally.  Students if you are interested in being a delegate at this awesome event, ask your teacher or come to the Leadership Office with questions.

CLUBS

1. Applications for next year’s Philosophy Club leaders are now available! If you are interested, please contact Or at orzitag at gmail.com by April 20!

SENIORS

*1. AC Commencement Meeting Thursday at lunch in Mr. Carton's room, C 213
For AC Seniors
Music?  Dance?  Speakers?  Other Stuff?
Come Make These Important Decisions
As Always, Snacks Will Be There!
Seniors!  Get your prom tickets in the leadership office this week for $80 at lunch and afterschool.

*2. ATTENTION SENIORS: A mandatory class meeting will occur during 6th period at 3pm on Tuesday, April 17 in the Community Theater.

You must report to your 6th period class if you have one or report to the College Career Center after 5th period.  You should not leave campus.  At 2:50pm seniors will be excused from class or the CCC over the PA system and asked to report to the Community Theater.

	The meeting will review very important information including:
		• graduation and graduation tickets
		• senior ball
		• the schedule for the final week of school
		• how to ensure you are cleared to receive your diploma
		• other important information that you must understand

SPORTS

1. All students are invited to tryout for the Nationally ranked Berkeley High School Cheer and Dance teams! We are looking for Spirited, Enthusiastic, Fan Driven, and Hardworking B.H.S Students who want to represent Berkeley High School.  Tryouts for the 2012-2013 Cheerleading Season begins, Monday, April 16 thru Wednesday April 18, 2012 from 5:30pm – 7:45pm. YOU MUST attend all three days of tryouts in order to be considered.  Sandra Coleman-McGill  BHS CHEER & DANCE TEAM ADVISOR

MISC

*1. AFS Intercultural Exchange Service Day and Hunger where we live:
 Join AFS Intercultural Exchanges in support of the Alameda Food Bank on Saturday, April 21,  12:45 to 4pm., 7900 Edgewater Drive, Oakland. This is a great way to make a difference in the fight against hunger right in our back yards and put in practice the ideals of community building that is at the core of AFS.
If you can swing by to lend a hand, PLEASE rsvp to  AHenry at afs.org , we need to let the Bank know how many are coming that day.

2. We are looking for families who would enjoy hosting Japanese high school students for a weekend in August. These students come from the areas in Japan affected by the Earthquake and Tsunami last year. The dates to host are Friday, August 3 - Sunday August 5, 2012.  The home-stay is a part of the three-week leadership training at UC Berkeley. This program seeks to foster leadership skills and the future of U.S.-Japan relations. If you are interested in becoming a host family, please contact: Junko Kenmotsu, Junekenmo at gmail.com or (510) 204-0678.

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.