[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: First BHS College Fair April 22 (Sun.)!

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Apr 13 17:35:16 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Katherine Brown
klb1mtd at gmail.com; Fern Royce BHSoutreach at berkeley.net; Angela Price
angelaprice at berkeley.net;  Skyler Barton skylerbarton at berkeley.net

It is with great excitement and enthusiasm that we invite members of the
Junior class and their parents and guardians to our first annual Berkeley
High College Fair on Sunday, April 22. Representatives from 35 colleges and
universities will be at the  the Jacket Gym to answer questions, hand out
information and, most importantly,  meet our potential students.  This is a
free event, for Juniors and their parents only.  Sophomore parents are
encouraged to attend as volunteer ushers.  (See last paragraph)

What to expect: Juniors and their parents/guardians (no more than two per
kid) should arrive at Milvia and Kittridge Breezeway no earlier than 1 p.m.
with their BHS Photo ID.  Students are allowed to bring two parents or two
guardians who must be on their PowerSchool record.  Students with an ID may
come without an adult as well.  The colleges are coming to meet Berkeley
High Students. Sorry, no siblings are allowed because of space limitations.
The Junior class is already 800 strong!

There will be a verification table if you do not have BHS Photo ID with you.
This will have a line, so find your BHS photo ID!

The college admissions people will have information to give out on their
tables and they will be able answer your questions.  We will have table maps
with college table locations posted at the Entrance.

We are asking students to  treat the event as if going to an important job
interview:

Be respectful and cordial, dress as though you are going for an important
job interview.

Arrive knowing which schools you would like to visit, and in what order.

If you're not interested, do not stop at that table.

Be organized: bring a pencil and notepad rather than writing on the college
materials.

Keep quiet: keep personal comments to yourself as you pass colleges which do
not interest you.

Have well thought out questions that show informed interest in that school.
Know the basic scholastic admissions stats ahead of time, and try to ask
questions which reflect who you are:

            your own academic, athletic or personal reasons for applying to
that school.

If you have questions relating to tuition and financial aid and scholarship
funding, make sure you know the posted deadlines and other easily available
online information.

Basic preparation will make a good impression!

Ask questions in a timely manner, allowing time for other students and
families waiting in line. If you have more to ask, return to that college
after circulating to other tables.

The Admissions officers are traveling across the country to meet Berkeley
High students; remember, they are making admissions decisions so be
respectful and kind.

Below is a list of the colleges and universities who are sending
representatives to the College Fair.  In addition, we will have information
on the California public universities and colleges.

Cornish College of the Arts

Linfield College

Wellesley College

University of British Columbia

Vassar College

Hampshire College

Drew University

University of Pennsylvania

Pomona College

University of Colorado Boulder

UC Irvine

University of San Francisco

Humboldt State University

Reed College

University of Oregon

Whitman College

Northwestern University

University of Southern California

Smith College

Oberlin College

Stanford University

Grinnell College

Washington University in St. Louis

Oregon State University

Hamilton College

Harvey Mudd College

San Jose State University

Dartmouth College

Carleton College

Carleton College

UC Berkeley

University of Puget Sound

Sophomore parents who volunteer will be able to visit the fair before or
after their shift. Please contact Fern Royce at bhsoutreach at berkeley.net to
volunteer.

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To