[BHS Etree] INCOMING FAMILIES - Math Placement Test Clarifications/Corrections

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Mar 21 22:18:06 PDT 2012

Do not reply to this email, contact Janet Huseby janethuseby at berkeley.net

It turns out I issued incorrect information yesterday re the need for
calculators on the Honors Math Placement test.  There is no need for a
calculator for students testing into Honors Geometry.  Students interested
in Honors Algebra II or higher should bring a scientific calculator.

In addition, yesterday's posting contained a broken link for the Algebra
content.

The correct link is: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqalg1.pdf

Below is all pertinent information in current correct form.  My apologies
for the incorrect information I have posted.  Janet

 Below is the original posting with corrections:

1. Math placement will be determined by teacher recommendation, grades in
current math class, and, for new-to-BUSD students, a general math placement
test.  All students who are interested in enrolling in an honors math level
will take an additional honors math test. The general test for new-to-BUSD
is approximately one hour long. The honors math test is an additional 45
minutes.

2. New-to-BUSD students will take both the general test and the honors test
in the Berkeley High School library on April 10, April 18, or May 9 at 3
p.m. There is no need to sign up for the test. Students interested in Honors
Geometry do not have to bring a calculator.  Students interested in Algebra
II or higher should bring a scientific calculator

3. The honors test will be offered after school for current BUSD middle
school students on April 12 (Longfellow), April 16 (Willard) and April 17
(King).Students interested in Honors Geometry do not have to bring a
calculator.  Students interested in Algebra II or higher should bring a
scientific calculator

4. Content on the Math Placement Test: the Algebra content covered by the
placement test is the California content standards for Algebra 1 which can
be found online at:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqalg1.pdf

5. Teacher recommendation for math placement:  King, Willard and Longfellow
students do not have to ask their teacher to submit a recommendation.  The
teachers will do so automatically.  We are asking New to BUSD students to
forward the link below to their child's current math teacher in order to
fill out a short questionnaire and to make a math placement  recommendation:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9thGradePlacement

Janet Huseby
Outreach and Volunteers
Berkeley High School

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To