[BHS Etree] ADMIN: WASC Accreditation Visit Mar. 19-21 (Mon.-Wed.)

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Mar 13 18:14:59 PDT 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Daniel Roose
danielroose at berkeley.net

Dear Parents,

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is the body that
issues accreditation for schools.  Our last WASC visit was in 2005, at which
time we received a strong accreditation grade; we are hoping for similar
results this time around.  Next week we will have a visiting team from WASC
on our campus Monday 19th, Tuesday 20th, and Wednesday 21st.

The WASC team has received a written report from us already and they will be
spending their three days comparing what we said in the report with the
reality of what they observe.  Most of their time will be spent observing
teaching and learning in classrooms, but they will also meet with groups of
students, teachers, and staff.

At their end of their visit on Wednesday afternoon, the WASC team will make
an oral presentation of their findings.  This meeting will be at 3 pm in the
BHS library.  Parents, students, and staff are all invited to attend.  To
accommodate the meeting, we will have an early dismissal on Wednesday 21st.
Students will be released at 2:30 pm.  Here is the schedule for that day ...

Wednesday 21st

Modified schedule

per 0  =  7:23-821

per 1  =  8:27-9:15

per 2  =  9:21-10:14

per3  =  10:20-11:08

LUNCH  =  11:08-11:48

per 4  =  11:54-12:42

per 5  =  12:48-1:36

per 6  =  1:42-2:30

WASC report  = 3:00

The 3 pm meeting is not mandatory.  Students may leave for home at 2:30, if
they want.

Most period 7 classes will be cancelled so their teachers can attend the
meeting.  However, period 7 teachers have the option to hold class that day
if they have important curriculum that can not be postponed.  If your
student has a per 7 class, please encourage him/her to check in with the
teacher ahead of time to ask whether class will be held.

Only Wednesday's schedule will be modified; the rest of the week we will
follow our usual bell schedule.

If you have any questions about the WASC visit, contact Daniel Roose, the
BHS WASC Coordinator, via email at droose at berkeley.net.

Daniel Roose

Dean of Attendance & WASC Coordinator

Berkeley High School

1980 Allston Way, 94704

phone:  510.644.6929

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To