[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS - Tutor Struggling AC Students

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Jan 17 20:50:12 PST 2012

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mary Engle at
maryengle at verizon.net

Dear AC Parents,

Jessie Luxford, our new Academic Support Coordinator, needs our help.
Jessie works with the kids identified as "at risk" and for whom her services
help avoid failures.  Teachers report very positive results when Jessie gets
involved.

She needs help with academic tutoring for her students in English, math, and
other subjects.

She has several volunteers from Berkeley School Volunteers who have been
very helpful, but she needs many more.  If you have been trained for Writer
Coach tutoring, this is different and we'd prefer that you fulfill your
Writer Coach role. Or you can do both!

The students she supports are in very basic classes, so advanced knowledge
is not needed, even for math. Students benefit from having an adult present,
sitting with them, encouraging and helping them stay focused.

She needs tutors during fifth period and after school at BHS in Room H102B.

Fifth period runs from 1:28 - 2:26 PM.

After school would be for an hour.

Any day.  9th and 10th graders.

If you have not previously attended a volunteer orientation session of the
Berkeley School Volunteers, you will need to do that first.

Here's the orientation schedule for January. You need only attend once.

Berkeley School Volunteer orientation classes:

Wednesday, January 18, noon-1 PM (tomorrow!)

Monday, January 23rd, 5-6 PM

No need to sign up in advance. Simply come to 1835 Allston Way for the
orientation class.

If you can help with tutoring, please let Jessie Luxford know what day
you'll be there:  510-289-4107

If you have questions, you can also contact me at the number below.

Thank you!

Mary Engle

Cell: 510-290-6567

Pat Anderson, Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Lisa Sibony are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the etree; please direct any questions to
them at  <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To