[BHS Etree] ADMIN - Advisory Topics for Friday

BHS etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Dec 6 20:10:45 PST 2011

Dear Parents,

Thank you for your feedback about last month's advisory, and thank you for
taking the time to discuss the advisory theme with your kids.

This Friday is our fourth advisory meeting so we wanted to encourage you to
discuss the topic at home. Our hope is to continue developing advisory
topics and lessons that can be discussed both at home and at school. We
believe that this practice, as it develops, can provide parents and school
staff with content and skills that can be discussed and clarified in the
advisory class, and then be reinforced and expanded by families at home.

This month, each grade level will be working on a different topic:

9th grade - Time management

10th grade - Transcript analysis / A-G requirements (we will be providing
advisors with their students' transcripts).  There is also a time management
activity available if students finish early.

11th grade - Stress management

12th grade - Present polished 5-year plan collage to fellow students, who
will provide audience feedback .  (If you are a parent of a senior, please
support them in completing the one assignment for advisory that they have to
work on at home - it will require materials such as construction paper,
scissors, markers and glue.)

Please take some time to discuss this week's advisory topic with your child.

Some "dinner table" questions you could ask or use as conversation starters:

(9th/10th grade) - How do you manage your time if you have a lot of
schoolwork and activities?

(10th grade) - Do you know what college A-G requirements are?

(11th grade) What are some ways you can think of to deal with or manage
stress?

(12th grade)  Did you finish your 5 year plan poster for advisory this week?

Thanks again for your continued input and participation in our advisory
program.

If you have any questions or comments about advisory, please contact
susannahbell at berkeley.net

Thank you,

Pasquale Scuderi

BHS Principal

Diane Douglas, Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Pat Anderson are the parent-volunteer
<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net> bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives:  <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/; BHS PTSA website:
<http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> http://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/. To